Growth and Convergence in a Two-region Moddel: The Hypothetical Case of Korean Unification
The paper discusses the impact and implications of Korean unification by setting up a two-region endogenous growth model. The numerical solutions are based on the formal analytical model, and have been calibrated so that they reflect the observed features of the North and South Korean economies. The numerical solutions provide evidence about the speed of convergence and the large amount of interregional transfers that would be required to make the North Korean economy economically viable. We also model the impact of foreign aid, migration and borrowing abroad for the transition process.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Costas Azariadis & Allan Drazen, 1990. "Threshold Externalities in Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 501-526.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth,"
3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1995. "Human and physical infrastructure: Public investment and pricing policies in developing countries," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 43, pages 2773-2843 Elsevier.
- Bradford, Scott C. & Phillips, Kerk L., 2008. "The Economic Reunification of Korea: A Dynamic General Equilibrium Model," MPRA Paper 23550, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brunner, Martin & Strulik, Holger, 2002.
"Solution of perfect foresight saddlepoint problems: a simple method and applications,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 737-753, May.
- Martin Brunner & Holger Strulik, 2002. "Code for "Solution of Perfect Foresight Sattlepoint Problems: A Simple Method and Applications"," QM&RBC Codes 93, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Aghion, Philippe & Schankerman, Mark, 1999. "Competition, Entry, and the Social Returns to Infrastructure in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcus Noland & Sherman Robinson & Li-Gang Liu, 1998. "The Costs and Benefits of Korean Unification," Working Paper Series WP98-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Gerard H. Kuper & Jakob de Haan, 1996. "Modelling government investment and economic growth at the macro level: A review," Working Papers 29, Centre for Economic Research, University of Groningen and University of Twente.
- Philippe Aghion & Mark Schankerman, 1999. "Competition, entry and the social returns to infrastructure in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(1), pages 79-101, March.
- Frank Siebern, 2000. "Growth and Convergence in a Two-Region Model of Unified Germany," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(3), pages 363-384, 08.
- Ono, Yoshiyasu & Shibata, Akihisa, 1992.
"Spill-over effects of supply-side changes in a two-country economy with capital accumulation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 127-146, August.
- Ono, Y. & Shibata, A., 1990. "Spill-Over Effects Of Supply-Side Changes In A Two-Country Economy With Capital Accumulation," ISER Discussion Paper 0232, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Marcus Noland & Sherman Robinson & Tao Wang, 1999.
"Modeling Korean Unification,"
Working Paper Series
WP99-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Young Jun Chun & Ilho Yoo, 2005.
"The Fiscal Burden of Korean Reunification: A Generational Accounting Approach,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 61(1), pages 62-, March.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Young Jun Chun & Ilho Yoo, 2004. "The Fiscal Burden of Korean Reunification: A Generational Accounting Approach," NBER Working Papers 10693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ilho Yoo & Alan J. Auerbach & Young Jun Chun, 2004. "The Fiscal Burden of Korean Reunification: A Generational Accounting Approach," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 313, Econometric Society.
- Aghion, Philippe & Schankerman, Mark, 2000. "A Model Of Market-Enhancing Infrastructure," CEPR Discussion Papers 2462, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harry Papapanagos & Peter Sanfey, 1998.
"Intention to Emigrate in Transition Countries: The Case of Albania,"
Studies in Economics
9818, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Peter Sanfey & Harry Papapanagos, 2001. "Intention to emigrate in transition countries: the case of Albania," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 14(3), pages 491-504.
- Michael Funke & Holge Strulik, 1999. "Growth and Convergence in a Two-Region Model of Unified Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 206, CESifo Group Munich.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Boeri, Tito, 2000. "Structural Change, Welfare Systems, and Labour Reallocation: Lessons from the Transition of Formerly Planned Economies," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293651, May.
- G. Duggal, Vijaya & Saltzman, Cynthia & Klein, Lawrence R., 1999. "Infrastructure and productivity: a nonlinear approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 47-74, September.
- Kim, Se-Jik, 1998. "Growth effect of taxes in an endogenous growth model: to what extent do taxes affect economic growth?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 125-158, September.
- Marcus Noland, 2000. "Avoiding the Apocalypse: The Future of the Two Koreas," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 94.
- Shioji, Etsuro, 2001. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Convergence Approach," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 205-27, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:212003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.