Aspects, Models and Measures for Assessing the Competitiveness of International Financial Services in a Particular Location
The International Financial Services (IFS) industry is restructuring internally and by location. This paper outlines the economic forces and analytical methods that may be applied to examine the economic drivers of these processes as ever more countries and cities are vying for attracting IFS providers and their clients. The ICT revolution has made those IFS that can be commoditized footloose in search of cost efficiency. High value-added services, however, will continue to be developed and co-ordinated in a few major IFS centers that have invested in, or capitalized on, regional or global advantages for themselves and their clients. This fragmentation and geographic dispersion of the industry by service function and sophistication may facilitate analyses of the comparative economic efficiency of particular financial services by methods such as stochastic frontier analysis.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fu, Xiaoqing (Maggie) & Heffernan, Shelagh, 2007. "Cost X-efficiency in China's banking sector," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 35-53.
- Guonan Ma & RobertN McCauley, 2008. "Efficacy Of China'S Capital Controls: Evidence From Price And Flow Data," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 104-123, 02.
- Rose, Andrew K., 2007.
"A stable international monetary system emerges: Inflation targeting is Bretton Woods, reversed,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 663-681, September.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2006. "A Stable International Monetary System Emerges: Inflation Targeting is Bretton Woods, Reversed," NBER Working Papers 12711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- AndrewK. Rose & MarkM. Spiegel, 2007. "Offshore Financial Centres: Parasites or Symbionts?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(523), pages 1310-1335, October.
- Rose, Andrew K & Spiegel, Mark, 2005. "Offshore Financial Centres: Parasites or Symbionts?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark Spiegel, 2006. "Offshore Financial Centers: Parasites or Symbionts?," NBER Working Papers 12044, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2005. "Offshore financial centers: parasites or symbionts?," Working Paper Series 2005-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- von Furstenberg, George, 2007. "The Economics of Offshore Financial Services and the Choice of Tax, Currency, and Exchange Rate Regime," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 19, pages 49-64.
- George M. von Furstenberg, 2006. "The Economics of Offshore Financial Services and the Choice of Tax, Currency, and Exchange-Rate Regimes," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Gary H. Jefferson & Albert G. Z. Hu & Jian Su, 2006. "The Sources and Sustainability of China's Economic Growth," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 37(2), pages 1-60.
- Hans Genberg, 2005. "External Shocks, Transmission Mechanisms and Deflation in Asia," Working Papers 062005, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Hans Genberg, 2005. "External shocks, transmission mechanisms and deflation in Asia," BIS Working Papers 187, Bank for International Settlements.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2010. "Technical and allocative efficiency in European banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(1), pages 153-163, July.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2006. "Technical and Allocative Efficiency in European Banking," Working Papers 46, Bank of Greece.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Dickson C. Tam & Matthew S. Yiu, 2008. "Does the Chinese interest rate follow the US interest rate?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 53-67.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Dickson Tam & Matthew S. Yiu, 2006. "Does the Chinese Interest Rate Follow the US Interest Rate?," Working Papers 192006, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Dickson Tam & Matthew S. Yiu, 2007. "Does the Chinese Interest Rate Follow the US Interest Rate?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1943, CESifo Group Munich.
- anonymous, 2007. "China's banking sector," Asia Focus, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Lessard, Donald R. & Tschoegl, Adrian E., 1988. "Panama's International Banking Center : The direct employment effects," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 43-50, March.
- Gerard Caprio & Patrick Honohan & Dimitri Vittas, 2002. "Financial Sector Policy for Developing Countries : A Reader," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15229, July.
- Jongkyou Jeon & Yonghyup Oh & Doo Yong Yang, 2006. "Financial Market Integration in East Asia: Regional or Global?," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 5(1), pages 73-89, January.
- Yiping Huang, 2005. "Can Hong Kong Survive as an International Financial Center?," Chapters,in: A New Financial Market Structure for East Asia, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:182007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.