A Dynamic Factor Model for Current-Quarter Estimates of Economic Activity in Hong Kong
This paper applies the single-index dynamic factor model developed by Stock and Watson (1991) to construct current-quarter estimates of economic activity in Hong Kong. The Hang Seng index, a residential property price index, retail sales and total exports are used as coincident indicators. Principal Component Analysis is first used to obtain an impression of the common component of the indicator series. This component and the dynamic factor identified by the Stock-Watson methodology are strongly correlated and seem to account for economic fluctuations in Hong Kong reasonably well.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stock, J.H. & Watson, M.W., 1989.
"New Indexes Of Coincident And Leading Economic Indicators,"
178d, Harvard - J.F. Kennedy School of Government.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1989. "New Indexes of Coincident and Leading Economic Indicators," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 351-409 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harm Bandholz & Michael Funke, 2003.
"In Search of Leading Indicators of Economic Activity in Germany,"
Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers
20307, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Funke & Harm Bandholz, 2003. "In search of leading indicators of economic activity in Germany," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 277-297.
- Harm Bandholz & Michael Funke, 2001. "In Search of Leading Indicators of Economic Activity in Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 571, CESifo Group Munich.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1994.
"Measuring Business Cycles: A Modern Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
4643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Yiu, Matthew S., 2004. "Estimating output gaps in Asia: A cross-country study," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 115-136, March.
- Andrew C. Harvey, 1990. "The Econometric Analysis of Time Series, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026208189x, December.
- Kim, Chang-Jin, 1994.
"Dynamic linear models with Markov-switching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 1-22.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1987:i:6-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Garcia-Ferrer, Antonio & Poncela, Pilar, 2002. "Forecasting European GNP Data through Common Factor Models and Other Procedures," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 225-44, July.
- F. Javier Fernandez Macho & Andrew C. Harvey & James H. Stock, 1987. "Forecasting and Interpolation Using Vector Autoregressions with Common Trends," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 6-7, pages 279-287.
- Tatiana Kirsanova, 2002. "Credibility of the Russian Stabilisation Programme in 1995-98," NIESR Discussion Papers 193, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:162004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.