Synchronized Business Cycles in East Asia and Fluctuations in the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate
Because many authors have proposed stimulating the ailing Japanese economy by monetary expansion and yen depreciation, we explore the repercussions of depreciating the yen against the dollar on the other East Asian economies¡Xwhich largely peg to the dollar. Since 1980, economic integration among Japan¡¦s neighbors¡XChina, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand¡Xhas intensified and (except for China) their business cycles have been highly synchronized. These cycles have been closely linked to fluctuations in the yen/dollar exchange rate¡Xthrough changes in their export competitiveness and inflows of foreign direct investment. We show that a major yen devaluation would have a negative impact on incomes in other East Asian economies and that it is not a sensible policy option for Japan.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
NBER Working Papers
5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McCallum, Bennett T, 2000.
"Theoretical Analysis Regarding a Zero Lower Bound on Nominal Interest Rates,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 870-904, November.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2000. "Theoretical analysis regarding a zero lower bound on nominal interest rates," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, pages 870-935.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2000. "Theoretical Analysis Regarding a Zero Lower Bound on Nominal Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 7677, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald McKinnon & Gunther Schnabl, 2002. "Synchronized Business Cycles in East Asia: Fluctuations in the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate and China’s Stabilizing Role," Working Papers 02010, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- R. I. McKinnon, 2000.
"The East Asian Dollar Standard, Life After Death?,"
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 29(1), pages 31-82, 02.
- Ronald McKinnon & Kenichi Ohno, 2001.
"The Foreign Exchange Origins of Japan's Economic Slump and Low Interest Liquidity Trap,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 279-315, 03.
- Ronald McKinnon & Kenichi Ohno, 2000. "The Foreign Exchange Orgins of Japan's Economic Slump and Low Interest Liquidity Trap," Working Papers 00010, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Ronald McKinnon & Kenichi Ohno, 2000. "The Foreign Exchange Origins of Japan's Economic Slump and Low Interest Liquidity Trap," Working Papers 052000, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Tim Callen & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2001. "Policies and Prospects in Japan and the Implications for the Asia-Pacific Region," IMF Working Papers 01/131, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:022003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.