The Student Loan Consolidation Option
The federal government makes subsidized federal financing for higher education widely available. The extent of the subsidy varies over time with interest rate and credit market conditions. A loan provision that has added considerably to the size and volatility of the subsidy is the consolidation option, which allows students to convert floating rate federal loans to a fixed rate equal to the average floating rate on their outstanding loans. We develop a model to estimate the option's cost and to evaluate its sensitivity to changes in program rules, economic conditions, and borrower behavior. We model borrower behavior using data from the National Student Loan Data System, which provides new insights on the responsiveness of consumers to financial incentives.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.hceconomics.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurent E. Calvet & John Y. Campbell & Paolo Sodini, 2006.
"Down or Out: Assessing the Welfare Costs of Household Investment Mistakes,"
NBER Working Papers
12030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurent E. Calvet & John Y. Campbell & Paolo Sodini, 2007. "Down or Out: Assessing the Welfare Costs of Household Investment Mistakes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(5), pages 707-747, October.
- Calvet, Laurent & Campbell, John Y. & Sodini, Paolo, 2006. "Down or out: assessing the welfare costs of household investment mistakes," Les Cahiers de Recherche 832, HEC Paris.
- Laurent E. Calvet & John Y. Campbell & Paolo Sodini, 2006. "Down or Out: Assessing the Welfare Costs of Household Investment Mistakes," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2107, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Calvet, Laurent E. & Campbell, John Y. & Sodini, Paolo, 2006. "Down or Out: Assessing The Welfare Costs of Household Investment Mistakes," Working Paper Series 195, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Sodini, Paolo & Calvet, Laurent E. & Campbell, John, 2007. "Down or Out: Assessing the Welfare Costs of Household Investment Mistakes," Scholarly Articles 3122488, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Andrew Kaplin & Steve Guoqiang Sun, 2001.
"An Evaluation of Multi-Factor CIR Models Using LIBOR, Swap Rates, and Cap and Swaption Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
8682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Kaplin, Andrew & Sun, Steve, 2003. "An evaluation of multi-factor CIR models using LIBOR, swap rates, and cap and swaption prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 113-146.
- Lance Lochner & Alexander Monge-Naranjo, 2002. "Human Capital Formation with Endogenous Credit Constraints," NBER Working Papers 8815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hka:wpaper:2012-015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jennifer Pachon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.