Did relational capital matter during the financial crisis?
This paper aims to contribute to the body of empirical studies that address the importance of investments in companies’ relationships and the way in which they influence value creation in the global economic crisis. We employ linear panel analysis using the Hausman–Taylor model to analyse panel data for companies from the five largest European countries in the period 2004–2011. Different types of exogenous and endogenous links which a company could have in different stages of the crisis are investigated. The findings suggest that there is a statistically significant and positive link between relational capital and a firm’s value. Moreover, we identify several differences in the significance of the inputs during different crisis periods. The study provides both theoretical and practical insights into investments in intangibles for framing strategy decisions with a particular focus on the role of relational capital. This could provide scholars and practitioners with a working basis for understanding connections and the implications of strategizing in the context of a company’s networks.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Publication status:||Published in WP BRP Series: Financial Economics / FE, December 2013, pages 1-24|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Myasnitskaya 20, Moscow 101000|
Web page: http://www.hse.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberta Capello & Alessandra Faggian, 2005. "Collective Learning and Relational Capital in Local Innovation Processes," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 75-87.
- Brülhart, Marius & Mathys, Nicole Andréa, 2007.
"Sectoral Agglomeration Economies in a Panel of European Regions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6410, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brülhart, Marius & Mathys, Nicole A., 2008. "Sectoral agglomeration economies in a panel of European regions," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 348-362, July.
- Marius BRÜLHART & Nicole A. MATHYS, 2007. "Sectoral Agglomeration Economies in a Panel of European Regions," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 07.04, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Liu, Xiaming & Parker, David & Vaidya, Kirit & Wei, Yingqi, 2001. "The impact of foreign direct investment on labour productivity in the Chinese electronics industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 421-439, August.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 2006.
"The power of bootstrap and asymptotic tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 421-441, August.
- Harrison, Jeffrey S. & Wicks, Andrew C., 2013. "Stakeholder Theory, Value, and Firm Performance," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 97-124, January.
- David B. Audretsch & Dirk Dohse, 2007. "Location: A Neglected Determinant of Firm Growth," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(1), pages 79-107, April.
- Laura Abramovsky & Helen Simpson, 2008.
"Geographic Proximity and Firm-University Innovation Linkages: evidence from Great Britain,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
08/200, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Laura Abramovsky & Helen Simpson, 2011. "Geographic proximity and firm--university innovation linkages: evidence from Great Britain," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(6), pages 949-977, November.
- Laura Abramovsky & Helen Simpson, 2009. "Geographic proximity and firm-university innovation linkages: evidence from Great Britain," IFS Working Papers W09/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hultén, Peter & Barron, Andrew & Bryson, Douglas, 2012. "Cross-country differences in attitudes to business associations during the 2007–2010 recession," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 352-361.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1994. "R&D Spillovers and Recipient Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 336-340, May.
- Ćorić, Bruno & Pugh, Geoff, 2013. "Foreign direct investment and output growth volatility: A worldwide analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 260-271.
- Kira Kristal Reed & Michael Lubatkin & Narasimhan Srinivasan, 2006. "Proposing and Testing an Intellectual Capital-Based View of the Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 867-893, 06.
- Allan C. Eberhart & William F. Maxwell & Akhtar R. Siddique, 2004. "An Examination of Long-Term Abnormal Stock Returns and Operating Performance Following R&D Increases," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 623-650, 04.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-640, June.
- Roberta Capello, 2002. "Spatial and Sectoral Characteristics of Relational Capital in Innovation Activity," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Bresson, Georges & Pirotte, Alain, 2003. "Fixed effects, random effects or Hausman-Taylor?: A pretest estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 361-369, June.
- Lee, Seung-Hyun & Beamish, Paul W. & Lee, Ho-Uk & Park, Jong-Hun, 2009. "Strategic choice during economic crisis: Domestic market position, organizational capabilities and export flexibility," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Baruch Lev & Suresh Radhakrishnan & Weining Zhang, 2009. "Organization Capital," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 45(3), pages 275-298.
- Roberta Capello, 2001. "Spatial and Sectoral Characteristics of Relational Capital in Innovation Activity," ERSA conference papers ersa01p220, European Regional Science Association.
- Pantzalis, Christos & Park, Jung Chul & Sutton, Ninon, 2008. "Corruption and valuation of multinational corporations," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 387-417, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:23/fe/2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev)or (Victoria Elkina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.