Bad management, skimping, or both? The relationship between cost efficiency and loan quality in Russian banks
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Raphael A Espinoza & Ananthakrishnan Prasad, 2010. "Nonperforming Loans in the GCC Banking System and their Macroeconomic Effects," IMF Working Papers 2010/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Marques-Ibanez, David & Molyneux, Phil, 2011. "Efficiency and risk in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1315-1326, May.
- Pestova Anna & Mamonov Mikhail, 2013. "Macroeconomic and bank?specific determinants of credit risk: evidence from Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 13/10e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicoló, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, June.
- David Martinez-Miera & Rafael Repullo, 2010. "Does Competition Reduce the Risk of Bank Failure?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(10), pages 3638-3664, October.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jesús Saurina, 2006.
"Credit Cycles, Credit Risk, and Prudential Regulation,"
International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(2), May.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jesús Saurina, 2005. "Credit cycles, credit risk, and prudential regulation," Working Papers 0531, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Jesus, Saurina & Gabriel, Jimenez, 2006. "Credit Cycles, Credit Risk, and Prudential Regulation," MPRA Paper 718, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Karminsky & Alexander Kostrov & Taras Murzenkov, 2012. "Comparison of default probability models: Russian experience," HSE Working papers WP BRP 06/FE/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Zuzana Fungáčová & Laurent Weill, 2013. "Does competition influence bank failures?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 21(2), pages 301-322, April.
- Berger, Allen N. & DeYoung, Robert, 1997.
"Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 849-870, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, "undated". "Problem Loans and Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-08, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), revised 10 Dec 2019.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-8, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1996. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Proceedings 505, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1995. "Problem Loans and Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- O. Solntsev & A. Pestova & M. Mamonov., 2010. "Stress-testing Russian Banking System: Will Banks Need Government Assistance Again?," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 4.
- Peresetsky, Anatoly, 2010. "Bank cost efficiency in Kazakhstan and Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1998.
"The Efficiency Cost Of Market Power In The Banking Industry: A Test Of The "Quiet Life" And Related Hypotheses,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 454-465, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1994. "The efficiency cost of market power in the banking industry: a test of the \"quiet life\" and related hypotheses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen Berger & Timothy Hannan, 1994. "The Efficiency Cost of Market Power in the Banking Industry: A Test of the 'Quiet Life' and Related Hypotheses," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Yener Altunbas & Santiago Carbo & Edward P.M. Gardener & Philip Molyneux, 2007. "Examining the Relationships between Capital, Risk and Efficiency in European Banking," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(1), pages 49-70, January.
- Williams, Jonathan, 2004. "Determining management behaviour in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2427-2460, October.
- Louzis, Dimitrios P. & Vouldis, Angelos T. & Metaxas, Vasilios L., 2012.
"Macroeconomic and bank-specific determinants of non-performing loans in Greece: A comparative study of mortgage, business and consumer loan portfolios,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1012-1027.
- Dimitrios P. Louzis & Aggelos T. Vouldis & Vasilios L. Metaxas, 2010. "Macroeconomic and bank-specific determinants of non-performing loans in Greece: a comparative study of mortgage, business and consumer loan portfolios," Working Papers 118, Bank of Greece.
- Simon Kwan & Robert Eisenbeis, 1997. "Bank Risk, Capitalization, and Operating Efficiency," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 12(2), pages 117-131, October.
- Головань С.В. & Карминский А.М. & Пересецкий А.А., 2008.
"Эффективность Российских Банков С Точки Зрения Минимизации Издержек С Учетом Факторов Риска,"
Журнал Экономика и математические методы (ЭММ), Центральный Экономико-Математический Институт (ЦЭМИ), vol. 44(4), октябрь.
- Golovan, Sergei & Karminsky, Alexandr & Peresetsky, Anatoly, 2008. "Эффективность Российских Банков С Точки Зрения Минимизации Издержек, С Учетом Факторов Риска [Cost efficiency of Russian banks. Models with risk factors]," MPRA Paper 56357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mario Quagliariello, 2007. "Banks' riskiness over the business cycle: a panel analysis on Italian intermediaries," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 119-138.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Anatoly Peresetsky, 2013. "Cost efficiency of Kazakhstan and Russian banks: results from competing panel data models-super-1," Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 88-113, March.
- Белоусова В. Ю., 2009. "Эффективность Издержек Однородных Российских Коммерческих Банков: Обзор Проблемы И Новые Результаты," Higher School of Economics Economic Journal Экономический журнал Высшей школы экономики, CyberLeninka;Федеральное государственное автономное образовательное учреждение высшего образования «Национальный исследовательский университет «Высшая школа экономики», vol. 13(4), pages 489-519.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2004. "Competition and Financial Stability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 453-480, June.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Leora F. Klapper & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2017.
"Bank competition and financial stability,"
Chapters, in: Jacob A. Bikker & Laura Spierdijk (ed.), Handbook of Competition in Banking and Finance, chapter 10, pages 185-204,
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vicente Salas & Jesús Saurina, 2002. "Credit Risk in Two Institutional Regimes: Spanish Commercial and Savings Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 22(3), pages 203-224, December.
- M. Mamonov & A. Pestova & O. Solntsev., 2012. "The Systemic Effects of Prudential Regulation Toughening: The Results of a Stress-test for Russian Banks," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Mamonov, Mikhail, 2012. "The impact of market power of Russian banks on their credit risk tolerance: A panel study," Applied Econometrics, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), vol. 28(4), pages 85-112.
- Phan, Hien Thu & Anwar, Sajid & Alexander, W. Robert J. & Phan, Hanh Thi My, 2019. "Competition, efficiency and stability: An empirical study of East Asian commercial banks," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(C).
- Brei, Michael & Jacolin, Luc & Noah, Alphonse, 2020.
"Credit risk and bank competition in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(C).
- M. Brei & L. Jacolin & A. Noah, 2018. "Credit risk and bank competition in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working papers 664, Banque de France.
- Alphonse Noah & Luc Jacolin & Michael Brei, 2018. "Credit Risk And Bank Competition In Sub-Saharan Africa," EconomiX Working Papers 2018-27, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Michael Brei & Luc Jacolin & Alphonse Noah, 2020. "Credit Risk and Bank Competition in Sub-Saharan Africa," Post-Print hal-02887007, HAL.
- BARRA, Cristian & ZOTTI, Roberto, 2017. "Bank Performance, Financial Stability and Market Competition: do Cooperative and Non-Cooperative Banks Behave Differently?," CELPE Discussion Papers 143, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Cristian BARRA & Roberto ZOTTI, 2019. "Bank Performance, Financial Stability And Market Concentration: Evidence From Cooperative And Non‐Cooperative Banks," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(1), pages 103-139, March.
- Baselga-Pascual, Laura & Trujillo-Ponce, Antonio & Cardone-Riportella, Clara, 2015. "Factors influencing bank risk in Europe: Evidence from the financial crisis," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 138-166.
- Wiem Ben Jabra & Zouheir Mighri & Faysal Mansouri, 2017. "Determinants of European bank risk during financial crisis," Cogent Economics & Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 1298420-129, January.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2018. "Bad luck, Bad policy or Bad banking? Understanding the financial management behavior of MENA banks," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 47, pages 110-128.
- Cristian Barra & Giovanna Bimonte & Roberto Zotti, 2016. "On the relationship among efficiency, capitalization and risk: does management matter in local banking market?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(41), pages 3912-3934, September.
- Wu, Ji & Guo, Mengmeng & Chen, Minghua & Jeon, Bang Nam, 2019.
"Market power and risk-taking of banks: Some semiparametric evidence from emerging economies,"
Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(C).
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Wu, Ji & Guo, Mengmeng & Chen, Minghua, 2018. "Market power and the risk-taking of banks: Some semiparametric evidence from emerging economies," School of Economics Working Paper Series 2018-1, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University.
- Ovi, Nafisa & Bose, Sudipta & Gunasekarage, Abeyratna & Shams, Syed, 2020. "Do the business cycle and revenue diversification matter for banks’ capital buffer and credit risk: Evidence from ASEAN banks," Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1).
- Vasiliki Makri, 2016. "Towards an Investigation of Credit Risk Determinants in Eurozone Countries," Journal of Accounting and Management Information Systems, Faculty of Accounting and Management Information Systems, The Bucharest University of Economic Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 27-57, March.
- Sascha Tobias Wengerek & Benjamin Hippert & André Uhde, 2019. "Risk allocation through securitization - Evidence from non-performing loans," Working Papers Dissertations 58, Paderborn University, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics.
- Laxmi Koju & Ram Koju & Shouyang Wang, 2018. "Does Banking Management Affect Credit Risk? Evidence from the Indian Banking System," International Journal of Financial Studies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(3), pages 1-11, July.
- Gulati, Rachita & Goswami, Anju & Kumar, Sunil, 2019. "What drives credit risk in the Indian banking industry? An empirical investigation," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 42-62.
- Luo, Yun & Tanna, Sailesh & De Vita, Glauco, 2016. "Financial openness, risk and bank efficiency: Cross-country evidence," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 132-148.
- Zhang, Jianhua & Jiang, Chunxia & Qu, Baozhi & Wang, Peng, 2013. "Market concentration, risk-taking, and bank performance: Evidence from emerging economies," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 149-157.
- Florian Manz, 2019. "Determinants of non-performing loans: What do we know? A systematic review and avenues for future research," Management Review Quarterly, Springer, vol. 69(4), pages 351-389, November.
- Louhichi, Awatef & Boujelbene, Younes, 2016. "Credit risk, managerial behaviour and macroeconomic equilibrium within dual banking systems: Interest-free vs. interest-based banking industries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 104-121.
- Louhichi, Awatef & Louati, Salma & Boujelbene, Younes, 2020. "The regulations–risk taking nexus under competitive pressure: What about the Islamic banking system?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(C).
More about this item
KeywordsRussian banks; credit risk; cost efficiency; skimping; bad management; stochastic fron-tier analysis; market power;
All these keywords.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BAN-2013-12-06 (Banking)
- NEP-CIS-2013-12-06 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-EFF-2013-12-06 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-TRA-2013-12-06 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:19/fe/2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev) or (Shamil Abdulaev). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/hsecoru.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.