Does competition influence bank failures?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Zuzana Fungacova & Laurent Weill, 2010. "How Market Power Influences Bank Failures Evidence from Russia," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-08, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
References listed on IDEAS
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Gianni De Nicolo & Abu M. Jalal & John H. Boyd, 2006. "Bank Risk-Taking and Competition Revisited; New Theory and New Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/297, International Monetary Fund.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, June.
- David Martinez-Miera & Rafael Repullo, 2010. "Does Competition Reduce the Risk of Bank Failure?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(10), pages 3638-3664, October.
- Claeys, Sophie & Schoors, Koen, 2007.
"Bank supervision Russian style: Evidence of conflicts between micro- and macro-prudential concerns,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 630-657, September.
- Claeys, Sophie & Schoors, Koen, 2007. "Bank supervision Russian style: Evidence of conflicts between micro- and macroprudential concerns," Working Paper Series 205, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Wolf Wagner, 2010. "Loan Market Competition and Bank Risk-Taking," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 71-81, February.
- Turk Ariss, Rima, 2010. "On the implications of market power in banking: Evidence from developing countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 765-775, April.
- Solís, Liliana & Maudos, Joaquín, 2008. "The social costs of bank market power: Evidence from Mexico," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 467-488, September.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000.
"Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 2002. "Market power and banking failures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1341-1361, November.
- repec:elg:eechap:16878_10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Styrin Konstantin, 2005. "X-inefficiency, Moral Hazard, and Bank Failures," EERC Working Paper Series 01-258e-2, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Allen N. Berger & Leora F. Klapper & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2017.
"Bank competition and financial stability,"
Chapters,in: Handbook of Competition in Banking and Finance, chapter 10, pages 185-204
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Arena, Marco, 2008.
"Bank failures and bank fundamentals: A comparative analysis of Latin America and East Asia during the nineties using bank-level data,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 299-310, February.
- Marco Arena, 2005. "Bank Failures and Bank Fundamentals: A Comparative Analysis of Latin America and East Asia during the Nineties using Bank-Level Data," Staff Working Papers 05-19, Bank of Canada.
- Anatoly Peresetsky & Alexandr Karminsky & Sergei Golovan, 2011. "Probability of default models of Russian banks," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 44(4), pages 297-334, November.
- Maudos, Joaquin & de Guevara, Juan Fernandez, 2007. "The cost of market power in banking: Social welfare loss vs. cost inefficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2103-2125, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fungáčová, Zuzana & Weill, Laurent, 2015.
"Understanding financial inclusion in China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 196-206.
- Zuzana Fungácová & Laurent Weill, 2014. "Understanding Financial Inclusion in China," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2014-06, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Fungáčová, Zuzana & Weill, Laurent, 2014. "Understanding financial inclusion in China," BOFIT Discussion Papers 10/2014, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fabiana Gomez & Jorge Ponce, 2014. "Bank Competition and Loan Quality," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 215-233, December.
- Mäkinen, Mikko & Solanko, Laura, 2017. "Determinants of bank closures : Do changes of CAMEL variables matter?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 16/2017, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fungáčová, Zuzana & Turk-Ariss, Rima & Weill, Laurent, 2013. "Does excessive liquidity creation trigger bank failures?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 2/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Rodolphe Dos Santos Ferreira & Teresa Lloyd-Braga & Leonor Modesto, 2016. "Could competition always raise the risk of bank failure?," Working Papers of BETA 2016-27, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Kabir, Md. Nurul & Worthington, Andrew C., 2017. "The ‘competition–stability/fragility’ nexus: A comparative analysis of Islamic and conventional banks," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 111-128.
- Zuzana Fungacova & Rima Turk & Laurent Weill, 2015. "High Liquidity Creation and Bank Failures," IMF Working Papers 15/103, International Monetary Fund.
- Mamonov, Mikhail, 2012. "The impact of market power of Russian banks on their credit risk tolerance: A panel study," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 28(4), pages 85-112.
- repec:eee:ecmode:v:64:y:2017:i:c:p:626-637 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:nos:voprec:2017-07-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ris:apltrx:0339 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aadil Nakhoda, 2013. "Bank Competition and Export Diversification," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 2013/12, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Lapteacru, Ion, 2014. "Do more competitive banks have less market power? The evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 41-60.
- Yi-Shu Wang & Xue Jiang & Zhen-Jia-Liu, 2016. "Bank Failure Prediction Models for the Developing and Developed Countries: Identifying the Economic Value Added for Predicting Failure," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 6(9), pages 522-533, September.
- Weill, Laurent, 2013. "Bank competition in the EU: How has it evolved?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 100-112.
- Solomon SAMANHYIA & Kofi MINTAH OWARE & Frederick ANISOM-YAANSAH, 2016. "Financial Distress and Bankruptcy Prediction: Evidence from Ghana," Expert Journal of Finance, Sprint Investify, vol. 4, pages 52-65.
- Pestova Anna & Mamonov Mikhail, 2013. "Macroeconomic and bank?specific determinants of credit risk: evidence from Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 13/10e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- M. Brei & L. Jacolin & A. Noah, 2018. "Credit risk and bank competition in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working papers 664, Banque de France.
- Mikhail Mamonov, 2013. "Bad management, skimping, or both? The relationship between cost efficiency and loan quality in Russian banks," HSE Working papers WP BRP 19/FE/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- BARRA, Cristian & ZOTTI, Roberto, 2017. "Bank Performance, Financial Stability and Market Competition: do Cooperative and Non-Cooperative Banks Behave Differently?," CELPE Discussion Papers 143, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
More about this item
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:etrans:v:21:y:2013:i:2:p:301-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ebrdduk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.