Innovation processes in the Russian manufacturing subsidiaries of MNCs – an integrated view from case studies
The extant literature acknowledges the role of overseas subsidiaries in the growth and development of multinational companies (MNCs). Such subsidiaries are viewed as critical players in the innovation process at MNCs. Although this topic has gained importance, it remains largely under-researched in the Russian context. This study aims to fill this gap by examining the dynamics of the innovation process in Russian-based subsidiaries of global MNCs. It seeks to explore and understand motivation and drivers of innovation, key participants, and impact and outcomes of innovation, with a specific reference to the peculiarities of the Russian institutional environment. We present qualitative findings from several case studies of Russian manufacturing subsidiaries of foreign MNCs, which indicate that Russian subsidiaries are not only recipients of knowledge and technology developed elsewhere in the MNCs, but are active developers of innovative products and solutions that are later applied in other units of the respective MNCs
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in WP BRP Series: Management / MAN, July 2013, pages 1-33|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Myasnitskaya 20, Moscow 101000|
Web page: http://www.hse.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Birkinshaw, Julian & Ridderstråle, Jonas, 1999. "Fighting the corporate immune system: a process study of subsidiary initiatives in multinational corporations," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 149-180, April.
- Carl F Fey & Ingmar Björkman, 2001. "The Effect of Human Resource Management Practices on MNC Subsidiary Performance in Russia," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(1), pages 59-75, March.
- Engelen, Andreas & Brettel, Malte & Wiest, Gregor, 2012. "Cross-functional Integration and New Product Performance — The Impact of National and Corporate Culture," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 52-65.
- Boehe, Dirk Michael, 2007. "Product development in MNC subsidiaries: Local linkages and global interdependencies," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 488-512, December.
- Boddewyn, Jean J., 1999. "The domain of international management," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-14.
- Dellestrand, Henrik & Kappen, Philip, 2011. "Headquarters Allocation of Resources to Innovation Transfer Projects within the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 263-277.
- Ciabuschi, Francesco & Forsgren, Mats & Martín Martín, Oscar, 2012. "Headquarters involvement and efficiency of innovation development and transfer in multinationals: A matter of sheer ignorance?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 130-144.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:11man2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev)or (Victoria Elkina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.