Agricultural Outputs and Conflict Displacement: Evidence from a Policy Intervention in Rwanda
In 1997 Rwanda introduced a re-settlement policy for refugees displaced during previous conflicts. We exploit geographic variation in the speed of implementation of this policy to investigate the impact of conflict-induced displacement and the re-settlement policy on household agricultural output and on skill spill-over mechanisms between returnees and stayers. We find that returns to onfarm labour are higher for returnees relative to stayers, although the evidence suggests that the policy contributed little additional effect to this differential. More speculatively, these differentials suggest that, upon return from conflict-induced exile, returnees are more motivated to increase their economic performance.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Verwimp, 2003. "Micro-level Evidence from Rwanda," HiCN Working Papers 08, Households in Conflict Network.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521873161 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sergio Firpo, 2004.
"Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Quantile Treatment Effects,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
605, Econometric Society.
- Sergio Firpo, 2007. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Quantile Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 259-276, 01.
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser, 1995.
"Are Ghettos Good or Bad?,"
NBER Working Papers
5163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Currie, J. & Cole, N., 1992.
"Welfare and Child Health: the Link Between AFDC Participation and Birth Weight,"
92-9, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Currie, Janet & Cole, Nancy, 1993. "Welfare and Child Health: The Link between AFDC Participation and Birth Weight," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 971-85, September.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter & Åslund, Olof, 2000.
"Ethnic enclaves and the economic success of immigrants - evidence from a natural experiment,"
Working Paper Series
2000:9, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Per-Anders Edin & Peter Fredriksson & Olof �slund, 2003. "Ethnic Enclaves And The Economic Success Of Immigrants - Evidence From A Natural Experiment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 329-357, February.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter & Åslund, Olof, 2000. "Ethnic Enclaves and the Economic Success of Immigrants - Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Working Paper Series 2000:21, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Åslund, Olof & Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter, 2001. "Ethnic Enclaves and the Economic Success of Immigrants - Evidence from a Natural Experiment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2729, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Bart Capéau & Stefan Dercon, 1998.
"Prices, Unit Values and Local Measurement Units in Rural Surveys: an Econometric Approach with an Application to Poverty Measurement in Ethiopia,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9818, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Bart Capéau & Stefan Dercon, 2006. "Prices, Unit Values and Local Measurement Units in Rural Surveys: an Econometric Approach with an Application to Poverty Measurement in Ethiopia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 181-211, June.
- Bart Capéau & Stefan Dercon, 2004. "Prices, unit values and local measurement units in rural surveys: an econometric approach with an application to poverty measurement in Ethiopia," Public Economics Working Paper Series puvlmurs, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Florence Kondylis, 2005.
"Agricultural returns and conflict: quasi-experimental evidence from a policy intervention programme in Rwanda,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19878, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Florence Kondylis, 2005. "Agricultural Returns and Conflict: Quasi-Experimental Evidence from a Policy Intervention Programme in Rwanda," CEP Discussion Papers dp0709, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Foster, Andrew D & Rosenzweig, Mark R, 1996.
"Technical Change and Human-Capital Returns and Investments: Evidence from the Green Revolution,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 931-53, September.
- Mark Rosenzweig & Andrew D. Foster, . "Technical Change and Human Capital Returns and Investments: Evidence from the Green Revolution," Home Pages _065, University of Pennsylvania.
- Edward Miguel & Shanker Satyanath & Ernest Sergenti, 2004. "Economic Shocks and Civil Conflict: An Instrumental Variables Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(4), pages 725-753, August.
- Erica Field, 2002. "Entitled to Work: Urban Property Rights and Labor Supply in Peru," Working Papers 180, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Ravi Bhavanani & David Backer, 1999. "Localized Ethnic Conflict and Genocide: Accounting for Differences in Rwanda and Burundi," Working Papers 99-07-053, Santa Fe Institute.
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 1993. "Modeling Technology Adoption in Developing Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 396-402, May.
- Deininger, Klaus, 2003. "Causes and consequences of civil strife - micro-level evidence from Uganda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3045, The World Bank.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2003. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case Study of the Basque Country," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 113-132, March.
- Powell, James L., 1986. "Censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 143-155, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hic:wpaper:28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alia Aghajanian)or () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address or () or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.