Aggressive elites and vulnerable entrepreneurs - trust and cooperation in the shadow of conflict
We explore the implications of having a divided society where group leaders have motives for aggression towards other groups but where entrepreneurs have a desire for cooperation and peace. We assert that it is members of the elites who start conflicts and wage wars while the entrepreneurs undertake the type of economic activities that they find most profitable given the circumstances. We derive implications for peace and conflict. We find conflict induced poverty traps with self-fulfilling expectations about conflict and we derive implications for peace building strategies.
|Date of creation:||03 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halvor Mehlum & Karl Moene, 2002.
"Battlefields and Marketplaces,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Skaperdas, S. & Syropoulos, C., 2000.
"Guns, Butter, and Openness: On The Relationship Between Security and Trade,"
00-01-23, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Stergios Skaperdas & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2001. "Guns, Butter, and Openness: On the Relationship between Security and Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 353-357, May.
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Thoenig, Mathias, 2005.
"Make Trade not War?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5218, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Martin & Thierry Mayer & Mathias Thoenig, 2008. "Make Trade not War?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00293018, HAL.
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Thoenig, Mathias, 2005. "Make trade not war ?," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 0515, CEPREMAP.
- Dani Rodrik, 1989.
"Policy Uncertainty and Private Investment in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
2999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Policy uncertainty and private investment in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 229-242, October.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, S.J., 1999.
"Insecurity and the Pattern of Trade: An Empirical Investigation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
418, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 Aug 2000.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, 2002. "Insecurity And The Pattern Of Trade: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 342-352, May.
- Torvik, Ragnar, 2002. "Natural resources, rent seeking and welfare," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 455-470, April.
- Sule Ozler & Dani Rodrik, 1992.
"External Shocks, Politics and Private Investment: Some Theory and Empirical Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
3960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ozler, Sule & Rodrik, Dani, 1992. "External shocks, politics and private investment : Some theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 141-162, July.
- Stergios Skaperdas & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2002. "Insecure Property and the Efficiency of Exchange," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 133-146, January.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel & Stergios Skaperdas & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2009.
"International Trade and Transnational Insecurity: How Comparative Advantage and Power are Jointly Determined,"
080921, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel & Stergios Skaperdas & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2009. "International Trade and Transnational Insecurity: How Comparative Advantage and Power are Jointly Determined," CESifo Working Paper Series 2680, CESifo Group Munich.
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Mesnard, Alice, 2003.
" Civil War and the Social Contract,"
Springer, vol. 115(3-4), pages 455-75, June.
- Chung, Tai-Yeong, 1995. "On Strategic Commitment: Contracting versus Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 437-41, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2010_016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.