Green national accounting with a changing population
Following Arrow et al. (2003), this paper considers green national accounting when population is changing and instantaneous well-being depends not only on per capita consumption, but also population size. It is shown that welfare improvement can be indicated by an expanded “genuine savings indicator”, which also takes into account the total value of population growth, or by an expanded measure of real NNP growth. Practical ways of approximating these measured are discussed. By assuming constant returns to scale, the measures can be related to the value of per capita stock changes and per capita NNP growth, using a result due to Arrow et al. (2003). The result are compared to those arising when instantaneous well-being depends only on per capita consumption, and not on population size.
|Date of creation:||30 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asheim, Geir & Buchholz, Wolfgang, 2003.
"A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting,"
32/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Geir B. Asheim & Wolfgang Buchholz, 2004. "A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(2), pages 361-384, 06.
- Geir B. Asheim & Wolfgang Buchholz, 2002. "A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting," CESifo Working Paper Series 831, CESifo Group Munich.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1984. "Social criteria for evaluating population change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 13-33, November.
- Asheim, Geir B. & Weitzman, Martin L., 2001.
"Does NNP growth indicate welfare improvement?,"
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 233-239, November.
- Kenneth J. Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "The genuine savings criterion and the value of population," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 217-225, 03.
- Dasgupta, Partha S, 1969. "On the Concept of Optimum Population," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(107), pages 295-318, July.
- Dasgupta, Partha & M Ler, Karl-G Ran, 2000. "Net national product, wealth, and social well-being," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 69-93, February.
- repec:reg:rpubli:132 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2001. "Valuing Objects and Evaluating Policies in Imperfect Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C1-29, May.
- Pezzey, J.C.V.John C. V., 2004. "One-sided sustainability tests with amenities, and changes in technology, trade and population," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 613-631, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2003_006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.