Green national accounting with a changing population
Following Arrow et al. (2003), this paper considers green national accounting when population is changing and instantaneous well-being depends both on per capita consumption and population size. Welfare improvement is shown to be indicated by an expanded "genuine savings indicator", taking into account the value of population growth, or by an expanded measure of real NNP growth. Under CRS, the measures can be related to the value of per capita stock changes and per capita NNP growth, using a result due to Arrow et al. (2003). The results are compared to those arising when instantaneous well-being depends only on per capita consumption. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. S. Dasgupta, 1969. "On the Concept of Optimum Population," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 295-318.
- repec:reg:rpubli:132 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pezzey, J.C.V.John C. V., 2004. "One-sided sustainability tests with amenities, and changes in technology, trade and population," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 613-631, July.
- Asheim, Geir & Buchholz, Wolfgang, 2003.
"A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting,"
32/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Geir B. Asheim & Wolfgang Buchholz, 2004. "A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(2), pages 361-384, 06.
- Geir B. Asheim & Wolfgang Buchholz, 2002. "A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting," CESifo Working Paper Series 831, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2001. "Valuing Objects and Evaluating Policies in Imperfect Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C1-29, May.
- Kenneth J. Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "The genuine savings criterion and the value of population," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 21(2), pages 217-225, 03.
- Asheim, Geir B. & Weitzman, Martin L., 2001.
"Does NNP growth indicate welfare improvement?,"
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 233-239, November.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1984. "Social criteria for evaluating population change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 13-33, November.
- Dasgupta, Partha & M Ler, Karl-G Ran, 2000. "Net national product, wealth, and social well-being," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 69-93, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:23:y:2004:i:3:p:601-619. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.