Welfare comparisons between societies with different population sizes and environmental characteristics
To provide a normative foundation for transfers between different societies, one needs information on the “per capita welfare” in different societies, having different population sizes and environmental characteristics. This paper reviews various methods for doing such comparisons. The main conclusion of the analysis is that there appears to be no practical alternative to applying real comprehensive per capita NNP. This is a per capita variant of Weitzman’s stationary welfare equivalent of future utility. Welfare comparisons between different societies must be made in local real prices calculated according to “purchasing-power-parity”, where non-traded environmental amenities may play an important role.
|Date of creation:||17 Jul 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.htmlEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asheim, Geir, 2003.
"Green national accounting for welfare and sustainability: A taxonomy of assumptions and results,"
31/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2003. "Green national accounting for welfare and sustainability:A Taxonomy Of Assumptions And Results," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(2), pages 113-130, 05.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2002. "Green National Accounting for Welfare and Sustainability: A Taxonomy of Assumptions and Results," CESifo Working Paper Series 827, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003.
"Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies,"
2003.109, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 647-685, December.
- Asheim, Geir, 2003.
"Green national accounting with a changing population,"
06/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Geir Asheim, 2004. "Green national accounting with a changing population," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 601-619, March.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 2001. " A Contribution to the Theory of Welfare Accounting," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Dasgupta, Partha & M Ler, Karl-G Ran, 2000. "Net national product, wealth, and social well-being," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 69-93, February.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2001. "Valuing Objects and Evaluating Policies in Imperfect Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C1-29, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2005_025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.