A note on the Weibull distribution and time ag gregation bias
The application of continuous time Weibull models on discrete unemployment duration data may result in severely biased baseline estimates. The bias can be substantial even for weekly duration data, and it is seriously aggravated if the Weibull model is erroneously mixed with a Gamma distribution for unobserved heterogeneity.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Narendranathan, W. & Stewart, M.B., 1989. "Modelling The Probability Of Leaving Unemployment: Competing Risks Models With Flexible Baseline Hazards," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 331, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Knut Roed & Oddbjorn Raaum & Harald Goldstein, 1999. "Does unemployment cause unemployment? Micro evidence from Norway," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(10), pages 1207-1218.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Aaberge, Rolf, 1996. "Unemployment duration models with non-stationary inflow and unobserved heterogeneity," Ricerche Economiche, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 163-172, June.
- Bergstrom, R & Edin, P-A, 1992.
"Time Aggregation and the Distributional Shape of Unemployment Duration,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(1), pages 5-30, Jan.-Marc.
- Edin, P.A. & Bergstrom, R., 1991. "Time aggregation and the Distributional Shape of Unemployment Duration," Papers 1991u, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2000_023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.