The Stock Market as a Screening Device and the Decision to Go Public
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Weinstein, Mark & Welch, Ivo, 1993. "An empirical investigation of IPO returns and subsequent equity offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 153-175, October.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R. & Rydqvist, Kristian, 1995. "Initial public offerings: International insights," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 139-140, May.
- Lucas, Deborah J & McDonald, Robert L, 1990. " Equity Issues and Stock Price Dynamics," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1019-1043, September.
- Georg Noldeke & Eric van Damme, 1990.
"Signalling in a Dynamic Labour Market,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 1-23.
- Noldecke,Georg & van Damme,Eric, 1988. "Signalling in a dynamic labor market," Discussion Paper Serie A 148, University of Bonn, Germany.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Nöldeke, G., 1990. "Signaling in a dynamic labor market," Other publications TiSEM b71cd444-f4c7-4282-bcc8-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hellwig, Martin F., 1980. "On the aggregation of information in competitive markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 477-498, June.
- Michaely, Roni & Shaw, Wayne H, 1994. "The Pricing of Initial Public Offerings: Tests of Adverse-Selection and Signaling Theories," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(2), pages 279-319.
- Smith, Clifford Jr., 1986. "Investment banking and the capital acquisition process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 3-29.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa Röell, 1998. "The Choice of Stock Ownership Structure: Agency Costs, Monitoring, and the Decision to Go Public," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(1), pages 187-225.
- Roell, Ailsa, 1996. "The decision to go public: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1071-1081, April.
- Allen, Franklin & Faulhaber, Gerald R., 1989. "Signalling by underpricing in the IPO market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 303-323, August.
- Mailath George J. & Okuno-Fujiwara Masahiro & Postlewaite Andrew, 1993. "Belief-Based Refinements in Signalling Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 241-276, August.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J, 1993. " The Pricing of Initial Public Offerings: A Dynamic Model with Information Production," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 285-304, March.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1997. "Price signals quality: The case of perfectly inelastic demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 43-61, November.
- Luigi Zingales, 1995. "Insider Ownership and the Decision to Go Public," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(3), pages 425-448.
- Welch, Ivo, 1989. " Seasoned Offerings, Imitation Costs, and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 421-449, June.
- Mike Burkart & Denis Gromb & Fausto Panunzi, 1997. "Large Shareholders, Monitoring, and the Value of the Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 693-728.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1993. "Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 678-709, August.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1989. " Inferring the Components of the Bid-Ask Spread: Theory and Empirical Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 115-134, March.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1999. "A Theory of the Going-Public Decision," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(2), pages 249-279.
- Ritter, Jay R., 1987. "The costs of going public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 269-281, December.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-1335, November.
- Theoharry Grammatikos & George Papaioannou, 1986. "Market Reaction To Nyse Listings: Tests Of The Marketability Gains Hypothesis," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 9(3), pages 215-227, September.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Paul Milgrom & Jonathan Paul, 1992. "The Real Output of the Stock Exchange," NBER Chapters,in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 195-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Hwang, Chuan Yang, 1989. " Signalling and the Pricing of New Issues," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 393-420, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johann Burgstaller, 2009. "When and why do Austrian companies issue shares?," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 36(3), pages 229-244, August.
- Damiano Bonardo & Stefano Paleari & Silvio Vismara, 2010. "The M&A dynamics of European science-based entrepreneurial firms," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 141-180, February.
- Thierry Foucault & Christine A. Parlour, 2004.
"Competition for Listings,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(2), pages 329-355, Summer.
- Thierry Foucault & Christine a Parlour, "undated". "Competition for Listings," GSIA Working Papers 2000-E11, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- FOUCAULT, Thierry & PARLOUR, Christine A., 1999. "Competition for Listings," Les Cahiers de Recherche 666, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Christine Parlour, 2011. "Competition for Listings," Working Papers hal-00599911, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & Christine Parlour, 2004. "Competition for Listings," Post-Print hal-00481211, HAL.
- Foucault, Thierry & Parlour, Christine A, 1999. "Competition for Listings," CEPR Discussion Papers 2222, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wolf Wagner, 2010. "Divestment, Entrepreneurial Incentives, and the Life Cycle of the Firm," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(5-6), pages 591-611.
- Ehrhardt, Olaf & Lahr, Henry, 2008. "Uncertain private benefits and the decision to go public," CEFS Working Paper Series 2008-02, Technische Universität München (TUM), Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS).
- Wagner, W.B., 2002. "Divestment, Entrepreneurial Incentives and the Decision to go Public," Discussion Paper 2002-47, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Tomáš Meluzín & Marek Zinecker, 2009. "Analyses of Partial Decision Models for IPO Realization," Ekonomika a Management, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(2).
- Mantecon, Tomas, 2008. "An analysis of the implications of uncertainty and agency problems on the wealth effects to acquirers of private firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 892-905, May.
- Reuer, Jeffrey J. & Shen, Jung-Chin, 2004. "Sequential divestiture through initial public offerings," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 249-266, June.
- Erik Lehmann & Thorsten Braun & Sebastian Krispin, 2012.
"Entrepreneurial human capital, complementary assets, and takeover probability,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 37(5), pages 589-608, October.
- Thorsten V. Braun & Sebastian Krispin & Erik E. Lehmann, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Human Capital, Complementary Assets, and Takeover Probability," Discussion Paper Series 307, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Braun, Thorsten V. & Krispin, Sebastian & Lehmann, Erik E., 2010. "Entrepreneurial human capital, complementary assets, and takeover probability," UO Working Papers 03-10, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
- Tomas Mantecon & Paul Thistle, 2011. "The IPO market as a screening device and the going public decision: evidence from acquisitions of privately and publicly held firms," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 325-361, October.
More about this item
KeywordsIPOs; going public; seasoned offers; underpricing; adverse selection;
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/erhhsse.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.