Crossing takeover premiums and mix of payment: An empirical test of contractual setting in M&A transactions
The analyses of the tender offer premiums and of the means of payment should not be performed separately. In the empirical literature, these two variables are often considered independently, although they may have an endogenous relationship in a contractual setting. Using a sample of European M&As over the 2000-2010 decade, we show that these two variables are jointly set in a contractual empirical approach. The relationship between the percentage of cash and the offer premium is positive: higher premiums yield payments with more cash. We highlight that the payment choice is not a continuum between full cash and full share payments. Two different regimes of payment in M&A transactions are empirically characterized. We analyze the major determinants of M&A terms when the offer premium and the means of payment are jointly set. The underlying rationale of an asymmetry of information and a risk-sharing calculus is found to be significant in the setting of the agreement.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Journal of Banking and Finance, 2013, 37, 6, 2106-2123|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00937550|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2002.
"Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-Border Takeover Bids,"
2002-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marc Goergen & Luc Renneboog, 2004. "Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-border Takeover Bids," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(1), pages 9-45.
- Bebchuk, Lucian Arye, 1994.
"Efficient and Inefficient Sales of Corporate Control,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 957-93, November.
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk, 1994. "Efficient and Inefficient Sales of Corporate Control," NBER Working Papers 4788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin, Kenneth J, 1996. " The Method of Payment in Corporate Acquisitions, Investment Opportunities, and Management Ownership," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1227-46, September.
- Belot, François, 2011. "Target shareholder agreements, takeover premiums, and acquisition likelihood," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/8919, Paris Dauphine University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00937550. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.