What Determines Payment Methods and Deal Amount in Corporate Merger and Acquisitions in Pakistan
The present study examines the determinants of payment mode choice and deal amounts in financial and nonfinancial sectors mergers and acquisitions (M&A) in Pakistan, undertaken during period 2005–2012. The results of nonfinancial sector show a negative and linear relation between managerial ownership and cash financing that supports the risk reduction hypothesis. The bidder firm’s financial variables and target firm listing status are also proved to be significant determinants of payment mode. The results of deal price determinants in nonfinancial sector reveal the reduction of agency conflicts in bidder firms and show that main motive behind M&A deals is to achieve a big size and prestige rather than value maximisation. The financial sector results show that ownership structure has no significant impact on payment mode choice in Pakistan M&A. However, bidder firm’s cash availability and growth opportunities and target firm characteristics are significant determinant of payment method. The deal price determinants findings show that prices are high in stock financed deals due to signalling impact of stock issuance and basic motive of bidders behind M&A is to acquire a big size in case of financial sector.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mara Faccio & Ronald W. Masulis, 2005. "The Choice of Payment Method in European Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1345-1388, June.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2006. "Financial Constraints, Asset Tangibility, and Corporate Investment," NBER Working Papers 12087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin, Kenneth J, 1996. " The Method of Payment in Corporate Acquisitions, Investment Opportunities, and Management Ownership," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1227-1246, September.
- Yook, Ken C & Gangopadhyay, Partha & McCabe, George M, 1999. "Information Asymmetry, Management Control, and Method of Payment in Acquisitions," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(4), pages 413-427, Winter.
- Helen Short & Kevin Keasey & Darren Duxbury, 2002. "Capital Structure, Management Ownership and Large External Shareholders: A UK Analysis," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 375-399.
- Cyree, Ken B & Wansley, James W & Black, Harold A, 2000. "Bank Growth Choices and Changes in Market Performance," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(1), pages 49-66, February.
- Fishman, Michael J, 1989. " Preemptive Bidding and the Role of the Medium of Exchange in Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 41-57, March.
- Martynova, Marina & Renneboog, Luc, 2009.
"What determines the financing decision in corporate takeovers: Cost of capital, agency problems, or the means of payment?,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 290-315, June.
- Martynova, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2008. "What Determines the Financing Decision in Corporate Takeovers : Cost of Capital, Agency Problems or the Means of Payment?," Discussion Paper 2008-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bernard S. Black, 1992. "Institutional Investors And Corporate Governance: The Case For Institutional Voice," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 5(3), pages 19-32.
- Chang, Saeyoung & Mais, Eric, 2000. "Managerial Motives and Merger Financing," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 139-152, November.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Gregor Andrade & Mark Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 2001. "New Evidence and Perspectives on Mergers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 103-120, Spring.
- Moeller, Sara B. & Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Stulz, Rene M., 2004. "Firm size and the gains from acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 201-228, August.
- Amihud, Yakov & Lev, Baruch & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1990. " Corporate Control and the Choice of Investment Financing: The Case of Corporate Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 603-616, June.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1992. "Megamergers in banking and the use of cost efficiency as an antitrust defense," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 203, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Anderson, Ronald C & Reeb, David M, 2003. "Founding-Family Ownership, Corporate Diversification, and Firm Leverage," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 653-684, October.
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-325, June.
- Friend, Irwin & Lang, Larry H P, 1988. " An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-interest on Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 271-281, June.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1991. "Corporate Control And The Politics Of Finance," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 4(2), pages 13-34.
- Aloke Ghosh & William Ruland, 1998. "Managerial Ownership, the Method of Payment for Acquisitions, and Executive Job Retention," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 785-798, April.
- Sudi Sudarsanam & Ashraf A. Mahate -super-*, 2003. "Glamour Acquirers, Method of Payment and Post-acquisition Performance: The UK Evidence," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1-2), pages 299-342.
- Cheng, David C & Gup, Benton E & Wall, Larry D, 1989. "Financial Determinants of Bank Takeovers: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(4), pages 524-536, November.
- May, Don O, 1995. " Do Managerial Motives Influence Firm Risk Reduction Strategies?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1291-1308, September.
- Tufano, Peter, 1996. " Who Manages Risk? An Empirical Examination of Risk Management Practices in the Gold Mining Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1097-1137, September.
- Wansley, James W & Lane, William R & Yang, Ho C, 1987. "Gains to Bidder Firms in Cash and Securities Transactions," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 22(4), pages 403-414, November.
- Hansen, Robert G, 1987. "A Theory for the Choice of Exchange Medium in Mergers and Acquisitions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(1), pages 75-95, January.
- Timothy J. Brailsford & Barry R. Oliver & Sandra L. H. Pua, 2002. "On the relation between ownership structure and capital structure," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 42(1), pages 1-26.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1988. "Corporate control contests and capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 55-86, January.
- Dutta, Shantanu & Saadi, Samir & Zhu, PengCheng, 2013. "Does payment method matter in cross-border acquisitions?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 91-107. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:wpaper:2014:97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.