Individual Private Retirement Insurances: holding behaviours among pensioners
In the current context of demographic pressures, reforms of PAYG pension systems increase the extent to which individuals are responsible for their own retirement planning. The French pension system offered high replacement rates. The population used to consider that the State scheme had to provide them with an adequat level of pension. In 2003, the pension reform implemented individual and professional pension plans. These retirement savings contracts are not well developed. However, we observed that individuals prefer contracting life endowment contracts, which are long term savings supports, to prepare retirement. Using econometric specifications, we intend to put into perspective the households and individual characteristics which explain the holding behaviours of life endowment contracts and retirement savings plans. We conclude that the highest professional categories and the most educated individuals hold more frequently and simultanesously both types of contracts.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Economics Bulletin, 2013, 33, 1, 812-827|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00951881|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Bryan Graham, 2003.
"Longevity and Life-cycle Savings,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(3), pages 319-338, 09.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992.
"Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation,"
DELTA Working Papers
92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994. "Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-96, December.
- Bernard, Philippe & El Mekkaoui de Freitas, Najat & Lavigne, Anne & Mahieu, Ronan, 2003. "Ageing and the Demand for Life Insurance : An Empirical Investigation using French Panel Data," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6152, Paris Dauphine University.
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell & Vilsa Curto, 2009. "Financial Literacy and Financial Sophistication Among Older Americans," NBER Working Papers 15469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00951881. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.