L'insuffisance des signaux de localisation pour la coordination entre la production et le transport d'électricité dans les systèmes électriques libéralisés
This paper analyses how the long run coordination between generation and transmission is organized in a liberalized power system. We rely on a modular analysis framework in order to split in disctinct modules the coordination mechanisms between generation and transmission of electricity. The governance structure of the power transmission grid completes this analysis framework. Then, we show that, in a logic of institutionnal complementarity, this governance structure influences the power flow management schemes that are effectively implemented by the power Transmission and System Operators. Although the locational signals are necessary to guide the location of new power plants, the locational constraints of generators and the governance structure of the network then explain that these signals are insufficient to coordinate generation and transmission to the long term.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue Economique, Presses de Sciences Po, 2009, 60-3, pp.819-829|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal-supelec.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00422149|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Wilson, 2002. "Architecture of Power Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1299-1340, July.
- Paul Joskow, 2006.
"Patterns of Transmission Investments,"
in: Competitive Electricity Markets and Sustainability, chapter 5
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2005. "Patterns of Transmission Investment," Working Papers 0504, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Joskow, P.L., 2005. "Patterns of Transmission Investment," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0527, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Boyce, John R. & Hollis, Aidan, 2005. "Governance of electricity transmission systems," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 237-255, March.
- Brunekreeft, G. & Neuhoff, K. & Newbery, D., 2004.
"Electricity transmission: an overview of the current debate,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0463, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Brunekreeft, Gert & Neuhoff, Karsten & Newbery, David, 2005. "Electricity transmission: An overview of the current debate," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 73-93, June.
- Barker, Jr.J. & Tenenbaum, B. & Woolf, F., 1997. "Governance and Regulation of Power Pools and System Operators. An International Comparison," Papers 382, World Bank - Technical Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00422149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.