Nascent Governance: The Impact Of Entrepreneurial Finance On Board Formation And Roles
This research is an attempt to make progress in the understanding of the process of board formation and its impact on the functions performed by the board in young entrepreneurial ventures. We study the link between board members' characteristics and the effective accomplishment of monitoring and resource provision functions. Expanding earlier research we argue that the identity of external financiers matters in configuring the board and designing its working mode and roles. This is because different investors (1) may be endowed with different skills and knowledge, and (2) their social identities influence the motivation to accomplish different roles. We present a conceptual framework of the process of board formation in entrepreneurial firms and confront it with an in-depth longitudinal case study of a young venture that has received funding from business angels and venture capitalists. We show that board composition and routines are co-constructed by different (but not all) salient stakeholders who were involved in the first input of external capital. The intended and actual role of the board members depends on their specific capabilities and financial stakes and on processes of social identification. The observation of evolving board routines shows that certain members participate in two parallel processes of interaction with the entrepreneurs. Formal board meetings essentially serve the purpose of regular monitoring, whereas certain board members contribute to resource provision in parallel informal interactions, when they strongly identify themselves with entrepreneurs.
|Date of creation:||05 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in BCERC 2013 (2013 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference), Jun 2013, Lyon, France|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00850021|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wirtz, Peter, 2011.
"The cognitive dimension of corporate governance in fast growing entrepreneurial firms,"
European Management Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 431-447.
- Peter Wirtz, 2011. "The cognitive dimension of corporate governance in fast growing entrepreneurial firms," Post-Print halshs-00642749, HAL.
- Gérard Charreaux & Peter Wirtz, 2007.
"Corporate Governance in France,"
- Peter Wirtz & Christophe Bonnet, 2012.
"Raising capital for rapid growth in young technology ventures: when business angels and venture capitalists coinvest,"
Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print)
- Christophe Bonnet & Peter Wirtz, 2011. "Raising capital for rapid growth in young technology ventures: when business angels and venture capitalists coinvest," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2-3), pages 91-110, December.
- Shaker A. Zahra & Igor Filatotchev, 2004. "Governance of the Entrepreneurial Threshold Firm: A Knowledge-based Perspective," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 885-897, 07.
- Daily, Catherine M. & Dalton, Dan R., 1992. "The relationship between governance structure and corporate performance in entrepreneurial firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 375-386, September.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Hambrick, Donald C. & Crozier, Lynn M., 1985. "Stumblers and stars in the management of rapid growth," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 31-45.
- Gérard Charreaux & Peter Wirtz, 2006. "Gouvernance des entreprises : nouvelles perspectives," Post-Print halshs-00144927, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:gemptp:halshs-00850021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.