Relationships and the availability of credit to New Small Firms
We analyze the loans that startup firms obtain from banks by testing our predictions on a set of small, young Italian companies founded during the 1992-2004 period. According to our investigation, the amount of borrowing is determined by (1) the size of the firm, (2), the ability to offer collateral (3) perceived risk. Contrary to expectations, however, the length of the relationship with the lender has a weak influence.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:||23 Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 199 Aba Khoushy Ave., Mount Carmel, Haifa, Israel, 3498838|
Web page: http://hevra.haifa.ac.il/econ/index.php/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riding, Allan L. & HainesJR., George, 2001. "Loan guarantees: Costs of default and benefits to small firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 595-612, November.
- Bodenhorn, Howard, 2003.
" Short-Term Loans and Long-Term Relationships: Relationship Lending in Early America,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(4), pages 485-505, August.
- Howard Bodenhorn, 2001. "Short-Term Loans and Long-Term Relationships: Relationship Lending in Early America," NBER Historical Working Papers 0137, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & João A. C. Santos, 1999.
"The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending,"
620, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Longhofer, Stanley D. & Santos, Joao A. C., 2000. "The Importance of Bank Seniority for Relationship Lending," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 57-89, January.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & João A.C. Santos, 1998. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," Working Paper 9808, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- João A. C. Santos & Stanley D. Longhofer, 1998. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," BIS Working Papers 58, Bank for International Settlements.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2003. " Bank-Firm Relationships and Contagious Banking Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(2), pages 239-261, April.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F.Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2007.
"Bank Size and Lending Relationships in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
13005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2008. "Bank size and lending relationships in Japan," NBER Chapters, in: Organizational Innovation and Firm Performance, pages 242-267 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Watanabe, Wako, 2008. "Bank size and lending relationships in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 242-267, June.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-443.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nilsen, Jeffrey H, 2002.
"Trade Credit and the Bank Lending Channel,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 226-253, February.
- Thomas Astebro & Irwin Bernhardt, 2003. "Start-up financing, owner characteristics, and survival," Post-Print hal-00480047, HAL.
- Sandra E. Black & Philip E. Strahan, 2002. "Entrepreneurship and Bank Credit Availability," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2807-2833, December.
- Michael Manove & A. Jorge Padilla & Marco Pagano, 1998.
"Collateral vs. Project Screening: A Model of Lazy Banks,"
CSEF Working Papers
10, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Manove, M. & Padilla, A.J. & Pagano, M., 1998. "Collateral vs. Project Screening: a Model of Lazy Banks," Papers 9807, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Manove, Michael & Padilla, Atilano Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 2000. "Collateral Vs. Project Screening: A Model Of Lazy Banks," CEPR Discussion Papers 2439, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aoife Hanley & Sourafel Girma, 2006. "New Ventures and their Credit Terms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 351-364, 05.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Trovato, Giovanni, 2002. "The Determinants of Growth for Small and Medium Sized Firms: The Role of the Availability of External Finance," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 291-306, December.
- Cole, Rebel, 2008. "What do we know about the capital structure of privately held firms? Evidence from the Surveys of Small Business Finance," MPRA Paper 8086, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manove, Michael & Padilla, A Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 2001. "Collateral versus Project Screening: A Model of Lazy Banks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 726-744, Winter.
- Bianco, Magda & Casavola, Paola, 1999. "Italian corporate governance:: Effects on financial structure and firm performance," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1057-1069, April.
- Arito Ono & Iichiro Uesugi, 2009. "Role of Collateral and Personal Guarantees in Relationship Lending: Evidence from Japan's SME Loan Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(5), pages 935-960, 08.
- Craig, Steven G. & Hardee, Pauline, 2007. "The impact of bank consolidation on small business credit availability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1237-1263, April.
- Rajan, Raghuram & Winton, Andrew, 1995. " Covenants and Collateral as Incentives to Monitor," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1113-1146, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:haf:huedwp:wp201111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Rubinchik)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.