Insurance Fraud Estimation: More Evidence from the Quebec Automobile Insurance Industry
This article follows a previous study on insurance fraud in the Quebec automobile insurance industry (Dionne and Belhadji, 1996). Results from that research showed that 3 to 6,4% of all claim payments (excluding those for "glass damage only") contained fraud, representing 28 to 61 million dollars in 1994-1995. This evaluation was a minimum since it was limited to observed fraud only. In this paper, we apply a statistical method to estimate the total fraud level in the industry for the same period. Our results show a multiplicative factor of 3,4% of fraudulent files found in Dionne and Belhadji, which means that total fraud payments ranged from 96,2 to 208,4 million dollars in 1994-1995. Our Best Guest Estimator roughly a 10% fraud rate or about 113,5 million dollars.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Canada; ECOLE DES HAUTES ETUDES COMMERCIALES(H.E.C.),3000, chemin de la Cote-Sainte-Catherine. Montreal (Quebec) Canada H3T 2A7.|
Web page: http://www.hec.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dionne, G. & St-Michel, P., 1988.
"Workers' Compensation And Moral Hazard,"
Cahiers de recherche
8831, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- J. David Cummins & Sharon Tennyson, 1992. "Controlling Automobile Insurance Costs," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 95-115, Spring.
- Picard, Pierre, 1994. "Auditing claims in insurance market with fraud : the credibility issue," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9420, CEPREMAP.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:etcori:96-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.