Banking market structure, financial dependence and growth: international evidence from industry data
This paper explores the empirical relevance of banking market structure on growth. There is substantial evidence of a positive relationship between the level of development of the banking sector of an economy and its long-run output growth. Little is known, however, about the role played by the market structure of the banking sector on the dynamics of capital accumulation. This paper provides evidence that bank concentration promotes the growth of those industrial sectors that are more in need of external finance by facilitating credit access to younger firms. However, we also find evidence of a general depressing effect on growth associated with a concentrated banking industry, which imparts all sectors and all firms indiscriminately.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834|
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.chicagofed.org/webpages/publications/print_publication_order_form.cfm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, .
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
CRSP working papers
344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Paul S. Calem & Gerald A. Carlino, 1989.
"The concentration/conduct relationship in bank deposit markets,"
89-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Calem, Paul S & Carlino, Gerald A, 1991. "The Concentration/Conduct Relationship in Bank Deposit Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 268-76, May.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1997.
"The winner's curse in banking,"
97-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Valerie R. Bencivenga & Bruce D. Smith, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209.
- Colin Mayer, 1990. "Financial Systems, Corporate Finance, and Economic Development," NBER Chapters, in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 307-332 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Berger, Allen N. & Bonime, Seth D. & Covitz, Daniel M. & Hancock, Diana, 2000.
"Why are bank profits so persistent? The roles of product market competition, informational opacity, and regional/macroeconomic shocks,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1203-1235, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Seth D. Bonime & Daniel M. Covitz & Diana Hancock, 1999. "Why are bank profits so persistent: the roles of product market competition, informational opacity, and regional/macroeconomic shocks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-28, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio Jr. & Ross Levine, 2001. "Banking Systems around the Globe: Do Regulation and Ownership Affect Performance and Stability?," NBER Chapters, in: Prudential Supervision: What Works and What Doesn't, pages 31-96 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996.
"Stock markets, banks, and economic growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1690, The World Bank.
- de Aghion, Beatriz Armendariz, 1999. "Development banking," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 83-100, February.
- Mayer, Colin, 1988.
"New issues in corporate finance,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1167-1183, June.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999. "A new database on financial development and structure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2146, The World Bank.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1995. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-443.
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio Jr. & Ross Levine, 2002.
"Financial Regulation and Performance: Cross-COuntry Evidence,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 4, pages 113-142
Central Bank of Chile.
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio Jr. & Ross Levine, 2001. "Financial Regulation And Performance: Cross-Country Evidence," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 118, Central Bank of Chile.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr., Gerard & Levine, Ross, 1999. "Financial regulation and performance : cross-country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2037, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999. "Bank-based and market-based financial systems - cross-country comparisons," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2143, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "How does foreign entry affect the domestic banking market?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1918, The World Bank.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 1993.
"International Comparisons of Educational Attainment,"
NBER Working Papers
4349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1993. "International comparisons of educational attainment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Anthony S. Winer, 1982. "Applying the theory of probable future competition," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Sep, pages 527-534.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedhwp:wp-99-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.