Network externalities and technology adoption: lessons from electronic payments
We seek to determine the presence and causes of network externalities for the automated clearinghouse (ACH) electronic payments system, using a monthly panel data set on individual bank adoption of ACH. We construct a model of ACH usage that shows how to separately identify network externalities from technological advancement and peer-group effects. We find significant evidence of network effects and find evidence that these network effects are not internalized. Moreover, a large part of these network effects is due to informational problems. Sunk costs of adoption appear to be low.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bos.frb.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Technology Adoption in the Presence of Network Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 822-41, August.
- Gandal, Neil & Kirkwood MP, Archy & Rob, Rafael, 1999.
"The Dynamics of Technological Adoption in Hardware/Software Systems: The Case of Compact Disc Players,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2078, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neil Gandal & Michael Kende & Rafael Rob, 2000. "The Dynamics of Technological Adoption in Hardware/Software Systems: The Case of Compact Disc Players," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(1), pages 43-61, Spring.
- Neil G & al & Michael Kende & Rafael Rob, . "The Dynamics of Technological Adoption in Hardware/Software Systems: The Case of Compact Disc Players," Penn CARESS Working Papers f4df6bc9bda3795823895c786, Penn Economics Department.
- Neil Gandal & Michael Kende & Rafael Rob, . ""The Dynamics of Technological Adoption in Hardware/Software Systems: The Case of Compact Disc Players''," CARESS Working Papres 97-10, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Gandal, N. & Kende, M. & Rob, R., 1997. "The Dynamics of Technological Adoption in Hardware/Software Systems: The Case of Compact Disc Players," Papers 21-97, Tel Aviv.
- Myron L. Kwast & Martha Starr-McCluer & John D. Wolken, 1997. "Market definition and the analysis of antitrust in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kirstin E. Wells, 1996. "Are checks overused?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 2-12.
- John A. Weinberg, 1997. "The organization of private payment networks," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 25-44.
- Garth Saloner & Andrea Shepard, 1995. "Adoption of Technologies with Network Effects: An Empirical Examination of the Adoption of Teller Machines," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(3), pages 479-501, Autumn.
- Austan Goolsbee & Peter J. Klenow, 1999.
"Evidence on Learning and Network Externalities in the Diffusion of Home Computers,"
NBER Working Papers
7329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goolsbee, Austan & Klenow, Peter J, 2002. "Evidence on Learning and Network Externalities in the Diffusion of Home Computers," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 317-43, October.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Robert S. Pindyck & Pierre Azoulay, 1999.
"Network Effects and Diffusion in Pharmaceutical Markets: Antiulcer Drugs,"
NBER Working Papers
7024, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Pindyck, Robert S. & Azoulay, Pierre, 1970-, 1998. "Network effects and diffusion in pharmaceutical markets : antiulcer drugs," Working papers WP 4059-98., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Marc Rysman, 2004. "Competition Between Networks: A�Study of the Market for Yellow�Pages," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 483-512, 04.
- Nicholas Economides & Charles Himmelberg, 1995. "Critical Mass and Network Size with Application to the US Fax Market," Working Papers 95-11, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 225-38, January.
- William Roberds, 1998. "The impact of fraud on new methods of retail payment," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 1, pages 42-52.
- Neil Gandal, 1994. "Hedonic Price Indexes for Spreadsheets and an Empirical Test for Network Externalities," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(1), pages 160-170, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedbwp:99-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.