Environmental protection and economic growth
This paper explores the link between environmental policy and economic growth by employing an extension of the AK Growth Model. We include a state equation for renewable natural resources. We assume that the change in environmental regulations induces costs and that economic agents also derive some utility from capital stock accumulation vis-`a-vis the environment. Using the Hopf bifurcation theorem, we show that cyclical environmental policy strategies are optimal, providing theoretical support for the Environmental Kuznets Curve.
|Date of creation:||24 Aug 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Itapeva, 474, 13o andar, CEP 01332-000, São Paulo - SP|
Phone: 55 (011) 3799-3350
Fax: 55 (011) 3799-3357
Web page: http://eesp.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wirl, Franz, 1999. "Complex, dynamic environmental policies," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 19-41, January.
- Fleissig, Adrian R. & Whitney, Gerald A., 2007. "Testing additive separability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 215-220, August.
- Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2005. "Economic growth and the environment," Handbook of Environmental Economics,in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 23, pages 1219-1271 Elsevier.
- Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 1997. "Economic development and environmental pollution: traps and growth," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 327-350, August.
- Hazilla, Michael & Kopp, Raymond J, 1990. "Social Cost of Environmental Quality Regulations: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(4), pages 853-873, August.
- Engelbert Dockner & Gustav Feichtinger, 1991. "On the optimality of limit cycles in dynamic economic systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 31-50, February.
- Smulders, Sjak & Gradus, Raymond, 1996.
"Pollution abatement and long-term growth,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 505-532, November.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1993. "Pollution abatement and long-term growth," Discussion Paper 1993-73, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1996. "Pollution abatement and long-term growth," Other publications TiSEM 1ed65010-f4ac-4a1f-84b6-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Andreoni, James & Levinson, Arik, 2001. "The simple analytics of the environmental Kuznets curve," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 269-286, May.
- James Andreoni & Arik Levinson, 1998. "The Simple Analytics of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," NBER Working Papers 6739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reis, Ana Balcao, 2001. "Endogenous Growth and the Possibility of Eliminating Pollution," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 360-373, November.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli, 2001. "Endogenous Policy Choice: The Case of Pollution and Growth," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(2), pages 369-405, July.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli, 2000. "Endogenous policy choice: the case of pollution and growth," Staff Report 276, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Beverly Hirtle, 2008. "Credit derivatives and bank credit supply," Staff Reports 276, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- John, A & Pecchenino, R, 1994. "An Overlapping Generations Model of Growth and the Environment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1393-1410, November.
- Margulis, Sergio, 1992. "Back of the envelope estimates of environmental damage costs in Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 824, The World Bank.
- Selvanathan, Saroja, 1987. "A Monte Carlo test of preference independence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 259-261.
- Kenneth Clements & Wana Yang & Simon Zheng, 1997. "Is utility additive? The case of alcohol," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1163-1167.
- K.W. Clements & W. Yang & S.W. Zheng, 1997. "Is utility additive? The case of alcohol," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 97-02, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Arik Levinson, 2001. "The Ups and Downs of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Working Papers gueconwpa~01-01-08, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Adam B. Jaffe et al., 1995. "Environmental Regulation and the Competitiveness of U.S. Manufacturing: What Does the Evidence Tell Us?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 132-163, March.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1995. "Economic Growth and the Environment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-377.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1994. "Economic Growth and the Environment," NBER Working Papers 4634, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clark, Colin W., 1996. "Operational environmental policies," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 110-113, February.
- Feichtinger, Gustav & Novak, Andreas & Wirl, Franz, 1994. "Limit cycles in intertemporal adjustment models : Theory and applications," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 353-380, March.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1998. "Are There Limits to Growth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Mohtadi, Hamid, 1996. "Environment, growth, and optimal policy design," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 119-140, December.
- Smulders, J.A., 2004. "Economic growth, liberalization and the environment," Other publications TiSEM df182478-f4af-4307-8ce8-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Krueger, Alan B., 1996. "The inverted-U: what does it mean?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 119-122, February.
- Wirl, Franz, 2000. "Optimal accumulation of pollution: Existence of limit cycles for the social optimum and the competitive equilibrium," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 297-306, February.
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
- Philippe Michel & Gilles Rotillon, 1995. "Disutility of pollution and endogenous growth," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(3), pages 279-300, October.
- Serafy, Salah El & Goodland, Robert, 1996. "The importance of accurately measuring growth," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 116-119, February.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1995. "Neoclassical Growth, the J Curve for Abatement, and the Inverted U Curve for Pollution," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 162-168, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:eesptd:194. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da FGV/EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.