On the reliability of retrospective unemployment information in European household panel data
The retrospectively recalled calendar of activities in the European Community Household Panel is a prime resource for cross country analysis of unemployment experience. We investigate the reliability of these data and find that 26% of unemployed respondents misreported retrospectively their unemployment status in the subsequent interview. We observe large differences across countries: While the conditional probability of a successful recall is 96% in the UK, it is just 51% in Greece for a comparable individual. These evident data problems likely affect the results of cross country comparisons.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tatsiramos, Konstantinos, 2006.
"Unemployment Insurance in Europe: Unemployment Duration and Subsequent Employment Stability,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2280, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2009. "Unemployment Insurance in Europe: Unemployment Duration and Subsequent Employment Stability," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(6), pages 1225-1260, December.
- Mathiowetz, Nancy A & Duncan, Greg J, 1988. "Out of Work, Out of Mind: Response Errors in Retrospective Reports of Unemployment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(2), pages 221-229, April.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Thierry Magnac & Michael Visser, 1998.
"Transition Models with Measurement Errors,"
98-22, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- DiTella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert, 1999.
"The consequences of labour market flexibility: Panel evidence based on survey data,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 02-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Di Tella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert, 2005. "The consequences of labor market flexibility: Panel evidence based on survey data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1225-1259, July.
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen, 1985. "Unemployment Through the Filter of Memory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(3), pages 747-773.
- Terracol, Antoine, 2009.
"Guaranteed minimum income and unemployment duration in France,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 171-182, April.
- Antoine Terracol, 2009. "Guaranteed minimum income and unemployment duration in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00607219, HAL.
- Michele Pellizzari, 2004.
"Unemployment Duration and the Interactions Between Unemployment Insurance and Social Assistance,"
272, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Pellizzari, Michele, 2006. "Unemployment duration and the interactions between unemployment insurance and social assistance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 773-798, December.
- José Ignacio García Pérez & Yolanda Rebollo Sanz, 2004.
"Wage changes through job mobility in Europe: A multinomial endogenous switching approach,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2004/70, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Garcia Perez, Jose Ignacio & Rebollo Sanz, Yolanda, 2005. "Wage changes through job mobility in Europe: A multinomial endogenous switching approach," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 531-555, August.
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1998. "Unemployment: Questions and Some Answers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 802-816, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:wpaper:21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.