Efficiency of Finnish Upper Secondary Schools: An Application of Stochastic Frontier Analysis with Panel Data
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
- Douglas Sutherland & Robert Price & Isabelle Joumard & Chantal Nicq, 2007. "Performance Indicators for Public Spending Efficiency in Primary and Secondary Education," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 546, OECD Publishing.
- Barrow, Michael M., 1991. "Measuring local education authority performance: A frontier approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 19-27, March.
- Sengupta, Jati K. & Sfeir, Raymond E., 1986. "Production frontier estimates of scale in public schools in California," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 297-307, June.
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 2009.
"Higher education institutions' costs and efficiency: Taking the decomposition a further step,"
Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 107-113, February.
- G Johnes & J Johnes, 2005. "Higher education institutions' costs and efficiency: taking the decomposition a further step," Working Papers 574007, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Deller, Steven C. & Rudnicki, Edward, 1993. "Production efficiency in elementary education: The case of Maine public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-57, March.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 2003. "The Failure of Input-Based Schooling Policies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages 64-98, February.
- Alan B. Krueger, 2003. "Economic Considerations and Class Size," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages 34-63, February.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- Caroline M. Hoxby, 1998. "The Effects of Class Size and Composition on Student Achievement: New Evidence from Natural Population Variation," NBER Working Papers 6869, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frédéric Gonand & Isabelle Joumard & Robert Price, 2007. "Public Spending Efficiency: Institutional Indicators in Primary and Secondary Education," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 543, OECD Publishing.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990.
"Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989. "Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels," Working Papers 89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cooper, Samuel T. & Cohn, Elchanan, 1997. "Estimation of a frontier production function for the South Carolina educational process," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 313-327, June.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-444, June.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Dan D. Goldhaber & Dominic J. Brewer, 1997. "Why Don't Schools and Teachers Seem to Matter? Assessing the Impact of Unobservables on Educational Productivity," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(3), pages 505-523.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera & Dario Farren, 2002. "The technical efficiency of schools in Chile," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(12), pages 1533-1552.
- Akerhielm, Karen, 1995. "Does class size matter?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 229-241, September.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Victor Lavy, 1999. "Using Maimonides' Rule to Estimate the Effect of Class Size on Scholastic Achievement," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 533-575.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfonso Leme & Josep-Oriol Escardíbul, 2016. "The effect of a specialized versus a general upper secondary school curriculum on students’ performance and inequality. A difference-in-differences cross country country comparison," Working Papers 2016/16, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Son Nghiem & Ha Trong Nguyen & Luke B. Connelly, 2016.
"The Efficiency of Australian Schools: A Nationwide Analysis Using Gains in Test Scores of Students as Outputs,"
Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 35(3), pages 256-268, September.
- Hong Son Nghiem & Ha Trong Nguyen & Luke B Connelly, 2016. "The Efficiency of Australian Schools: A nationwide analysis using gains in test scores of students as outputs," Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre Working Paper series WP1603, Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School.
- Nadeem A. Burney & Jill Johnes & Mohammed Al-Enezi & Marwa Al-Musallam, 2013. "The efficiency of public schools: the case of Kuwait," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 360-379, September.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Kristof De Witte & Laura López-Torres, 2017.
"Efficiency in education: a review of literature and a way forward,"
Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 68(4), pages 339-363, April.
- Kristof de Witte & Laura López-Torres, 2015. "Efficiency in Education. A Review of Literature and a Way Forward," Working Papers 1501, Departament Empresa, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, revised Apr 2015.
- Moisio, Antti & Aaltonen, Juho & Kirjavainen, Tanja, 2006. "Efficiency and Productivity in Finnish Comprehensive Schooling 1998-2004," Research Reports 127, VATT Institute for Economic Research.
- Gralka, Sabine, 2018. "Stochastic frontier analysis in higher education: A systematic review," CEPIE Working Papers 05/18, Technische Universität Dresden, Center of Public and International Economics (CEPIE).
- Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini, Massimo, 2009.
"An analysis of cost efficiency in Swiss multi-utilities,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 306-315, March.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008. "An Analysis of Cost-Efficiency in Swiss Multi-utilities," CEPE Working paper series 08-60, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Federico Belotti & Giuseppe Ilardi & Andrea Piano Mortari, 2019. "Estimation of Stochastic Frontier Panel Data Models with Spatial Inefficiency," CEIS Research Paper 459, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 30 May 2019.
- Sickles, Robin C. & Song, Wonho & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2018.
"Econometric Analysis of Productivity: Theory and Implementation in R,"
18-008, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Robin C. Sickles & Wonho Song & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2018. "Econometric Analysis of Productivity: Theory and Implementation in R," CEPA Working Papers Series WP082018, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Belotti, Federico & Ilardi, Giuseppe, 2018.
"Consistent inference in fixed-effects stochastic frontier models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 161-177.
- Federico Belotti & Giuseppe Ilardi, 2017. "Consistent inference in fixed-effects stochastic frontier models," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 1147, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Kalervo Friberg, 2020. "Efficacy of Workâ€“Life Orientation: Region and Parentsâ€™ Education as Background Factors," SAGE Open, , vol. 10(4), pages 21582440209, November.
- Vanesa D’Elia & Gustavo Ferro, 2019. "Empirical Efficiency Measurement in Higher Education: An Overview," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 708, Universidad del CEMA.
- Martini, Gianmaria & Scotti, Davide & Viola, Domenico & Vittadini, Giorgio, 2020. "Persistent and temporary inefficiency in airport cost function: An application to Italy," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 132(C), pages 999-1019.
- Li, Hong-Zhou & Kopsakangas-Savolainen, Maria & Yan, Ming-Zhe & Wang, Jian-Lin & Xie, Bai-Chen, 2019. "Which provincial administrative regions in China should reduce their coal consumption? An environmental energy input requirement function based analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 127(C), pages 51-63.
- Li, Hong-Zhou & Kopsakangas-Savolainen, Maria & Xiao, Xing-Zhi & Tian, Zhen-Zhen & Yang, Xiao-Yuan & Wang, Jian-Lin, 2016. "Cost efficiency of electric grid utilities in China: A comparison of estimates from SFA–MLE, SFA–Bayes and StoNED–CNLS," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 272-283.
- Hailu, Kidanemariam Berhe & Tanaka, Makoto, 2015. "A “true” random effects stochastic frontier analysis for technical efficiency and heterogeneity: Evidence from manufacturing firms in Ethiopia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 179-192.
- Quang Nguyen & Sean Pascoe & Louisa Coglan & Son Nghiem, 2021. "The sensitivity of efficiency scores to input and other choices in stochastic frontier analysis: an empirical investigation," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 31-40, February.
- Coelli, Tim J., 1995.
"Recent Developments In Frontier Modelling And Efficiency Measurement,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(3), pages 1-27, December.
- Tim J. Coelli, 1995. "Recent Developments In Frontier Modelling And Efficiency Measurement," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(3), pages 219-245, December.
- Coelli, T. J., 1995. "Recent Developments in Frontier Modelling and Efficiency Measurement," 1995 Conference (39th), February 14-16, 1995, Perth, Australia 148798, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Per J. Agrell & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Martin Koller, 2013.
"Unobserved heterogeneous effects in the cost efficiency analysis of electricity distribution systems,"
0038, Swiss Economics.
- Per J. Agrell & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Martin Koller, 2013. "Unobserved heterogeneous effects in the cost efficiency analysis of electricity distribution systems," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 13/171, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- AGRELL, Per & FARSI, Mehdi & FILIPPINI, Massimo & KOLLER, Martin, 2013. "Unobserved heterogeneous effects in the cost efficiency analysis of electricity distribution systems," LIDAM Discussion Papers CORE 2013003, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Meryem Duygun & Jiaqi Hao & Anders Isaksson & Robin C. Sickles, 2017.
"World Productivity Growth: A Model Averaging Approach,"
Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 587-619, October.
- Duygun, Meryem & Hao, Jiaqi & Isaksson, Anders & Sickles, Robin C., 2015. "World Productivity Growth: A Model Averaging Approach," Working Papers 15-011, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Liu, Xiao-Yan & Pollitt, Michael G. & Xie, Bai-Chen & Liu, Li-Qiu, 2019.
"Does environmental heterogeneity affect the productive efficiency of grid utilities in China?,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 333-344.
- Xiao-Yan Liu & Li-Qiu Liu & Bai-Chen Xie & Michael G. Pollitt, 2018. "Does environmental heterogeneity affect the productive efficiency of grid utilities in China?," Working Papers EPRG 1820, Energy Policy Research Group, Cambridge Judge Business School, University of Cambridge.
- Liu, X-Y. & Liu, L-Q. & Xie, B-C. & Pollitt, M., 2018. "Does environmental heterogeneity affect the productive efficiency of grid utilities in China?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1838, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Gudbrand Lien, 2017. "Yardstick Regulation of Electricity Distribution Disentangling Short-run and Long-run Inefficiencies," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 5).
- Sickles, Robin C. & Hao, Jiaqi & Shang, Chenjun, 2015. "Panel Data and Productivity Measurement," Working Papers 15-018, Rice University, Department of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsEfficiency; stochastic frontier analysis; secondary schools; Public services; Julkiset palvelut; Effectiveness of public services; Julkisten palvelujen vaikuttavuus;
All these keywords.
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-EDU-2008-03-25 (Education)
- NEP-EFF-2008-03-25 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-LAB-2008-03-25 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2008-03-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:428. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vatttfi.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.