Finnish Experiences in Measuring and Promoting Productivity in the Public Sector
This paper presents a survey of the studies that have investigated productivity and efficiency in the Finnish public sector. The paper outlines methods that have been used in these studies and presents summaries of main finding. In addition suggestions and reflections on how to take quality into account in productivity studies are offered. The implications of recent public management reforms in Finland for productivity are also discussed. The paper offers tentative evidence that these reforms may have significant positive effects on public sector productivity.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare,Rolf & Grosskopf,Shawna & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 1993.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521420334, December.
- Talvitie, A. P. & Sikow, Catharina, 1992. "Analysis of productivity in highway construction using alternative average cost definitions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 461-478, December.
- Hjerppe, Reino T, 1980. "The Measurement of Real Output of Public Sector Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 26(2), pages 237-50, June.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanent, Heikki A., 1998.
"Efficiency differences of finnish senior secondary schools: An application of DEA and Tobit analysis,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 377-394, October.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanen, Heikki, 1996. "Efficiency Differences of Finnish Senior Secondary Schools: An Application of DEA and Tobit-Analysis," Discussion Papers 570, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Roos, P., 1995. "Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 137-144, April.
- Maija-Liisa Järviö & Kalevi Luoma, 1992. "Health Centre Productivity in Finland: Productivity change from 1980 to 1990 and productivity differences in 1990," Discussion Papers 42, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993.
"Returns to investment in education : a global update,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1067, The World Bank.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994. "Returns to investment in education: A global update," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Olesen, O. B. & Petersen, N. C., 1995. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis: a stochastic dominance approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 117-135, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.