A Measure to Compare Matchings in Marriage Markets
In matching markets the number of blocking pairs is often used as a criterion to compare matchings. We argue that this criterion is lacking an economic interpretation: In many circumstances it will neither reflect the expected extent of partner changes, nor will it capture the satisfaction of the players with the matching. As an alternative, we set up two principles which single out a particularly “disruptive” subcollection of blocking pairs. We propose to take the cardinality of that subset as a measure to compare matchings. This cardinality has an economic interpretation: the subset is a justified objection against the given matching according to a bargaining set characterization of the set of stable matchings. We prove multiple properties relevant for a workable measure of comparison.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Magenta, 63 - 20123 Milan|
Web page: http://www.feem.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roth, Alvin E & Xing, Xiaolin, 1997. "Turnaround Time and Bottlenecks in Market Clearing: Decentralized Matching in the Market for Clinical Psychologists," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 284-329, April.
- EHLERS, Lars, 2005.
"Von Neumann-Morgenstern Stable Sets in Matching Problems,"
Cahiers de recherche
12-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ehlers, Lars, 2007. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern stable sets in matching problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 537-547, May.
- EHLERS, Lars, 2005. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern Stable Sets in Matching Problems," Cahiers de recherche 2005-11, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989. "An equivalence theorem for a bargaining set," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 129-139, April.
- Muriel Niederle & Alvin E Roth, 2003.
"Unraveling Reduces Mobility in a Labor Market: Gastroenterology with and without a Centralized Match,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
506439000000000428, David K. Levine.
- Muriel Niederle & Alvin E. Roth, 2003. "Unraveling Reduces Mobility in a Labor Market: Gastroenterology with and without a Centralized Match," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1342-1352, December.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn & Markus Walzl, 2011.
"Farsighted Stability for Roommate Markets,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 13(6), pages 921-933, December.
- Bettina-Elisabeth Klaus & Flip Klijn & Markus Walzl, 2009. "Farsighted Stability for Roommate Markets," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-135, Harvard Business School.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn & Markus Walzl, 2009. "Farsighted Stability for Roommate Markets," Working Papers 385, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Diamantoudi, Effrosyni & Miyagawa, Eiichi & Xue, Licun, 2004. "Random paths to stability in the roommate problem," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 18-28, July.
- Kimmo Eriksson & Olle Häggström, 2008. "Instability of matchings in decentralized markets with various preference structures," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 36(3), pages 409-420, March.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2009.
"Smith and Rawls Share a Room: Stability and Medians,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
09-111, Harvard Business School.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2010. "Smith and Rawls share a room: stability and medians," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 35(4), pages 647-667, October.
- Klaus, Bettina & Klijn, Flip, 2008. "Smith and Rawls Share a Room: Stability and Medians," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Klijn, F. & Masso, J., 1999.
"Weak Stability and a Bargaining Set for the Marriage Model,"
1999-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Klijn, Flip & Masso, Jordi, 2003. "Weak stability and a bargaining set for the marriage model," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 91-100, January.
- Roth, Alvin E & Vande Vate, John H, 1990. "Random Paths to Stability in Two-Sided Matching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1475-80, November.
- Roth, Alvin E, 1984. "The Evolution of the Labor Market for Medical Interns and Residents: A Case Study in Game Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(6), pages 991-1016, December.
- Zhou Lin, 1994. "A New Bargaining Set of an N-Person Game and Endogenous Coalition Formation," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 512-526, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2011.41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.