Why do some firms contract out production?
The present paper examines which factors determine outsourcing decision using firm-level panel data for Spanish manufacturing industries. Outsourcing is measured as the manufacture of custom-made finished products or parts and components which have been contracted out to third parties. Moreover, we distinguish whether the main contractor provides the materials to the external supplier or not. Following the theoretical framework of Grossman and Helpman (2002), we take into account the persistence of outsourcing decision as well as other firm, industry and market characteristics that influence the likelihood of contracting out. Using a dynamic panel data probit model, our results show that previous subcontracting decision, wages, market changes, R&D activities, product and process innovation, product differentiation, industry-size and exporter status affect positively the current subcontracting decision.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ono, Yukako, 2003.
"Outsourcing business services and the role of central administrative offices,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 377-395, May.
- Yukako Ono, 2002. "Outsourcing business services and the role of central administrative offices," Working Paper Series WP-02-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, 2004.
"Does Outsourcing Increase Profitability?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 267-288.
- Katharine G. Abraham & Susan K. Taylor, 1993.
"Firms' Use of Outside Contractors: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
4468, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abraham, Katharine G & Taylor, Susan K, 1996. "Firms' Use of Outside Contractors: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(3), pages 394-424, July.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2004.
"Outsourcing, Foreign Ownership, and Productivity: Evidence from UK Establishment-level Data,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 817-832, November.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2003. "Outsourcing, Foreign Ownership and Productivity: Evidence from UK Establishment Level Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 361, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Haucap, Justus & Buehler, Stefan, 2003.
"Strategic Outsourcing Revisited,"
15/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Pol Antràs & Elhanan Helpman, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
10082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antràs, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," CEPR Discussion Papers 4170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antras, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," Scholarly Articles 3196327, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pol Antras & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2005, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2001.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
NBER Working Papers
8349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Tomiura, Eiichi, 2009. "Foreign versus domestic outsourcing: Firm-level evidence on the role of technology," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 219-226, March.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Integration versus Outsourcing in Industry Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(1), pages 85-120.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaeee:232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.