A Comparison of Estimation Methods for Vector Autoregressive Moving-Average Models
Classical Gaussian maximum likelihood estimation of mixed vector autoregressive moving-average models is plagued with various numerical problems and has been considered di±cult by many applied researchers. These disadvantages could have led to the dominant use of vector autoregressive models in macroeconomic research. Therefore, several other, simpler estimation methods have been proposed in the literature. In this paper these methods are compared by means of a Monte Carlo study. Different evaluation criteria are used to judge the relative performances of the algorithms.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Poskitt, D S, 1996.
"Specification of Echelon-Form VARMA Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 14(1), pages 69-79, January.
- L. Kavalieris & E. J. Hannan & M. Salau, 2003. "Generalized Least Squares Estimation Of Arma Models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 165-172, 03.
- Dietmar Bauer, 2005. "Comparing the CCA Subspace Method to Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods in the case of No Exogenous Inputs," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5), pages 631-668, 09.
- George Kapetanios, 2002. "A Note on an Iterative Least Squares Estimation Method for ARMA and VARMA Models," Working Papers 467, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Kapetanios, George, 2003. "A note on an iterative least-squares estimation method for ARMA and VARMA models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 305-312, June.
- Bauer, Dietmar, 2005. "Estimating Linear Dynamical Systems Using Subspace Methods," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 181-211, February.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Dwyer, Mark, 1998. "Business cycle analysis without much theory A look at structural VARs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 57-88.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eui:euiwps:eco2007/12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Banks)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.