Assessing the Macroeconomic Effects of Fiscal
The focus of this paper is on the short-term macroeconomic effects of fiscalpolicy in Colombia in a structural vector autoregression context. Governmentspending shocks are found to have positive and significant effects on output,private consumption, employment, prices and short-term interest rates. Thecumulative output multiplier fluctuates between 1.12 and 1.19 from the first tothird year after the spending innovation. Shocks to direct taxation seem to beless efficient, because they mainly affect private investment, whereas shocks toindirect taxation do not seem to affect real activities significantly. From apolicy perspective, our results support the smoothing role of fiscal policy onoutput fluctuations, which implies its capacity to restore real activity effectivelyin critical times like the ones currently being forecast. From a theoreticalstandpoint, the results are consistent with real business cycle and Keynesianmodels of both traditional partial equilibrium and new general equilibriumtypes.Keywords:
|Date of creation:||02 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörn Tenhofen & Guntram B. Wolff & Kirsten H. Heppke-Falk, 2010.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Exogenous Fiscal Policy Shocks in Germany: A Disaggregated SVAR Analysis,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(3), pages 328-355, June.
- Wolff, Guntram B. & Tenhofen, Jörn & Heppke-Falk, Kirsten H., 2006. "The macroeconomic effects of exogenous fiscal policy shocks in Germany: a disaggregated SVAR analysis," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,41, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 2002.
"An Empirical Characterization Of The Dynamic Effects Of Changes In Government Spending And Taxes On Output,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1329-1368, November.
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 1999. "An Empirical Characterization of the Dynamic Effects of Changes in Government Spending and Taxes on Output," NBER Working Papers 7269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Razin, Assaf & Tesar, Linda L., 1994.
"Effective tax rates in macroeconomics: Cross-country estimates of tax rates on factor incomes and consumption,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 297-323, December.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Assaf Razin & Linda L. Tesar, 1994. "Effective Tax Rates in Macroeconomics: Cross-Country Estimates of Tax Rates on Factor Incomes and Consumption," NBER Working Papers 4864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrigo Cerda & Hermann Gonzalez & Luis Felipe Lagos, 2006.
"Is fiscal policy effective? Evidence for an emerging economy: Chile 1833-2000,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 575-580.
- Rodrigo Cerda & Hermann González & Luis Felipe Lagos, 2005. "Is Fiscal Policy Effective? Evidence for an Emerging Economy: Chile 1833-2000," Documentos de Trabajo 292, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Francisco de Castro, 2006.
"The macroeconomic effects of fiscal policy in Spain,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 913-924.
- Francisco de Castro, 2003. "The macroeconomic effects of fiscal policy in Spain," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0311, Banco de Espa�a.
- King, R.G. & Baxter, M., 1990.
"Fiscal Policy In General Equilibrium,"
RCER Working Papers
244, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ignacio Lozano & Jorge Toro, 2007.
"Fiscal Policy Throughout the Cycle: The Colombian Experience,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002730, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ignacio Lozano & Jorge Toro, . "Fiscal Policy Throughout the Cycle: The Colombian Experience," Borradores de Economia 434, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2006.
"Some stylized facts on non-systematic fiscal policy in the Euro area,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 461-479, September.
- Massimiliano Marcellino, . "Some stylized facts on non-systematic fiscal policy in the Euro area," Working Papers 225, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2002. "Some Stylized Facts on Non-Systematic Fiscal Policy in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 3635, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fatás, Antonio & Mihov, Ilian, 2001. "The Effects of Fiscal Policy on Consumption and Employment: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2760, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Caldara, Dario & Kamps, Christophe, 2008. "What are the effects of fiscal policy shocks? A VAR-based comparative analysis," Working Paper Series 0877, European Central Bank.
- Evi Pappa, 2005.
"New-keynesian or RBC transmission? The effects of fiscal shocks in labour markets,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
524, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pappa, Evi, 2005. "New-Keynesian or RBC Transmission? The Effects of Fiscal Shocks in Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5313, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jorge E. Restrepo & Hernán Rincón, 2006.
"Identifying Fiscal Policy Shocks in Chile and Colombia,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
370, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jorge E. Restrepo & Hernán Rincón, 2006. "Identifying Fiscal Policy Shocks In Chile And Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002800, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Jorge E. Restrepo & Hernán Rincón, . "Identifying Fiscal Policy Shocks In Chile And Colombia," Borradores de Economia 397, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Afonso, António & Ebert, Werner & Schuknecht, Ludger & Thöne, Michael, 2005. "Quality of public finances and growth," Working Paper Series 0438, European Central Bank.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00287137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roberto Perotti, 2008.
"In Search of the Transmission Mechanism of Fiscal Policy,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2007, Volume 22, pages 169-226
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Perotti, 2007. "In Search of the Transmission Mechanism of Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 13143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:005386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.