Entry Threats and Inefficiency in â€˜Efficient Bargainingâ€™
Whether the outcome of bargaining over wage and employment between an incumbent firm and a union remains efficient under entry threat is examined. The workers\' reservation wage is not known to the entrant, and entry is profitable only against the high reservation wage. The entrant observes the pre-entry price, but not necessarily the wage agreements. When wage is not observed, contracts feature over-employment. Under separating equilibrium the low type is over-employed, and under pooling equilibrium the high type is over-employed. But when wage is observed, pooling equilibrium may not always exist, and separating equilibrium does not involve any inefficiency. [Working Paper No. 2010-016].
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1987.
"Entry deterrence under trade unions,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9565, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ohnishi, Kazuhiro, 2001. "Lifetime Employment Contract and Strategic Entry Deterrence: Cournot and Bertrand," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 30-43, March.
- Simon P. Anderson & Michael Devereux, 1989. "Profit-Sharing and Optimal Labour Contracts," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(2), pages 425-33, May.
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1988.
"The Impact of Trade Unions on Incentives to Deter Entry,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(2), pages 191-199, Summer.
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1988. "The impact of trade unions on incentives to deter entry," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9571, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Paul Milgrom & John Roberts, 1998.
"Limit Pricing and Entry Under Incomplete Information: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
245, David K. Levine.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1982. "Limit Pricing and Entry under Incomplete Information: An Equilibrium Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 443-59, March.
- Shingo Ishiguro & Yoshimasa Shirai, 1998. "Entry Deterrence in a Unionized Oligopoly," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 49(2), pages 210-221, 06.
- Rupayan Pal & Bibhas Saha, 2006. "Wage Commitment, Signalling, and Entry Deterrence or Accommodation," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 20(4), pages 625-650, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2833. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.