Urban Governance and Finance in India
Over 330 million people live in Indiaâ€™s cities; 35 cities have a population of over a million and three (Mumbai, Delhi, and Kolkata) of the 10 largest metropolises in the world are in India. Indiaâ€™s cities are large, economically important, and growing. However, neither urban infrastructure nor the level of urban public services is adequate for current needs, let alone to meet growing demands. This paper attempts to point the way towards some possible solutions by analysing urban governance and finance in India in the context of lessons drawn from fiscal federalism theory and experiences of governance institutions and financing systems both in India and around the world. [NIPFP WP No. 68].
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan A. Rodden & Gunnar S. Eskeland (ed.), 2003. "Fiscal Decentralization and the Challenge of Hard Budget Constraints," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262182297, June.
- Simanti Bandyopadhyay & M. Govinda Rao, 2009.
"Fiscal Health of Selected Indian Cities,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22970, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Bandyopadhyay, Simanti & Rao, M. Govinda, 2009. "Fiscal health of selected Indian cities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4863, The World Bank.
- M.Govinda Rao & Simanti Bandyopadhyay, 2009. "Fiscal Health of Selected Indian Cities," Working Papers id:2058, eSocialSciences.
- Bandyopadhyay,Simanti & M. Govinda Rao, 2009. "Fiscal health of selected Indian cities," Working Papers 09/58, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- R. Kavita Rao, 2008.
"Goods and Services Tax for India,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22976, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2495. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.