The Relationship Between Socio-Economic Status and Malaria: A Review of the Literature
Malaria is frequently referred to as a disease of the poor or a disease of poverty. A better understanding of the linkages between malaria and poverty is needed to guide the design of coherent and effective policies and tools to tackle malaria and poverty together. While recognising that there are a large number of dimensions of potential vulnerability to malaria that encompass social, demographic and geographic elements, the key focus of this work is on differences among socio-economic groups. The aim of this review was to document and review critically the evidence available on two key issues: malaria incidence or vulnerability to the effects of malaria by socio-economic status (SES); and the utilisation, effectiveness and accessibility of malaria control interventions by SES.[HEFP WP NO 01/03]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1998. "Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data - or tears : with an application to educational enrollments in states of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1994, The World Bank.
- McCombie, S. C., 1996. "Treatment seeking for malaria: A review of recent research," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 933-945, September.
- Winch, P. J. & Makemba, A. M. & Kamazima, S. R. & Lurie, M. & Lwihula, G. K. & Premji, Z. & Minjas, J. N. & Shiff, C. J., 1996. "Local terminology for febrile illnesses in Bagamoyo District, Tanzania and its impact on the design of a community-based malaria control programme," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1057-1067, April.
- Wang'Ombe, Joseph K. & Mwabu, Germano M., 1993. "Agricultural land use patterns and malaria conditions in Kenya," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1121-1130, November.
- Espino, Fe & Manderson, Lenore, 2000. "Treatment seeking for malaria in Morong, Bataan, The Philippines," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 1309-1316, May.
- Filmer, Deon, 2002. "Fever and its treatment among the more and less poor in Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2798, The World Bank.
- Baume, Carol & Helitzer, Deborah & Kachur, S. Patrick, 2000. "Patterns of care for childhood malaria in Zambia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 1491-1503, November.
- Rashed, S. & Johnson, H. & Dongier, P. & Moreau, R. & Lee, C. & Crépeau, R. & Lambert, J. & Jefremovas, V. & Schaffer, C., 1999. "Determinants of the Permethrin Impregnated Bednets (PIB) in the Republic of Benin: the role of women in the acquisition and utilization of PIBs," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 993-1005, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.