The economic impact of malaria in Africa: a critical review of the evidence
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Mwenesi, Halima & Harpham, Trudy & Snow, Robert W., 1995. "Child malaria treatment practices among mothers in Kenya," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1271-1277, May.
- Jayawardene, Ruwani, 1993. "Illness perception: Social cost and coping-strategies of malaria cases," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1169-1176, November.
- Koopmanschap, Marc A. & Rutten, Frans F. H. & van Ineveld, B. Martin & van Roijen, Leona, 1995. "The friction cost method for measuring indirect costs of disease," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 171-189, June.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-443.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang'Ombe, Joseph K. & Mwabu, Germano M., 1993. "Agricultural land use patterns and malaria conditions in Kenya," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1121-1130, November.
- Brown, Peter J., 1986. "Socioeconomic and demographic effects of malaria eradication: A comparison of Sri Lanka and Sardinia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 22(8), pages 847-859, January.
- Popkin, Barry M., 1982. "A household framework for examining the social and economic consequences of tropical diseases," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 533-543, January.
- Asenso-Okyere, W. K. & Dzator, Janet A., 1997. "Household cost of seeking malaria care. A retrospective study of two districts in Ghana," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 659-667, September.
- Audibert, Martine, 1986. "Agricultural non-wage production and health status : A case study in a tropical environment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 275-291, December.
- Bonilla, Elssy & Rodriguez, A., 1993. "Determining malaria effects in rural Colombia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1109-1114, November.
- Boissiere, M & Knight, J B & Sabot, R H, 1985. "Earnings, Schooling, Ability, and Cognitive Skills," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1016-1030, December.
- Winch, P. J. & Makemba, A. M. & Kamazima, S. R. & Lurie, M. & Lwihula, G. K. & Premji, Z. & Minjas, J. N. & Shiff, C. J., 1996. "Local terminology for febrile illnesses in Bagamoyo District, Tanzania and its impact on the design of a community-based malaria control programme," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1057-1067, April.
- Sabot, R. & Wakeman-Linn, J., 1990. "Performance In Intrductory Courses: A Production Function Analysis," Department of Economics Working Papers 139, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- David B. Evans & Susan F. Hurley, 1995. "The application of economic evaluation techniques in the health sector: The state of the art," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 503-524, May.
- Sauerborn, R. & Adams, A. & Hien, M., 1996. "Household strategies to cope with the economic costs of illness," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-301, August.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Onwujekwe, Obinna & Chima, Reginald & Okonkwo, Paul, 2000. "Economic burden of malaria illness on households versus that of all other illness episodes: a study in five malaria holo-endemic Nigerian communities," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 143-159, November.
- Gustav RANIS & Frances STEWART, 2001.
"Growth And Human Development: Comparative Latin American Experience,"
The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 39(4), pages 333-365, December.
- Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart, 2001. "Growth and Human Development: Comparative Latin American Experience," Working Papers 826, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 2001. "Growth and Human Development: Comparative Latin American Experience," Center Discussion Papers 28376, Yale University, Economic Growth Center.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Victor Lavy & Kohtaro Hitomi, 2008.
"Do Students Care about School Quality? Determinants of Dropout Behavior in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Human Capital, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(1), pages 69-105.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Victor Lavy & Kohtaro Hitomi, 2006. "Do Students Care about School Quality? Determinants of Dropout Behavior in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 12737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martine AUDIBERT, 2008.
"Endemic diseases and agricultural productivity: Challenges and policy response,"
- Martine Audibert, 2011. "Endemic diseases and agricultural productivity: Challenges and policy response," Working Papers halshs-00563389, HAL.
- Appleton, S., 2000.
"Education and Health at the Household Level in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
33, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Simon Appleton, 2000. "Education and Health at the Household Level in Sub-Saharan Africa," CID Working Papers 33A, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Simon Appleton, 2000. "Education and health at the household level in sub-Saharan Africa," CID Working Papers 33, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart, 2000. "Strategies for Success in Human Development," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 49-69.
- Kamat, Vinay R., 2006. ""I thought it was only ordinary fever!" cultural knowledge and the micropolitics of therapy seeking for childhood febrile illness in Tanzania," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 2945-2959, June.
- Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances & Ramirez, Alejandro, 2000.
"Economic Growth and Human Development,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 197-219, February.
- Alejandro Ramirez & Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart, "undated". "Economic Growth and Human Development -," QEH Working Papers qehwps18, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Ranis, G. & Ramirez, A. & Stewart, F., 1997. "Economic Growth and Human Development," Papers 787, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Gustav Ranis, 2000. "Strategies for Success in Human Development," Working Papers 808, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Alemayehu Hailu & Bernt Lindtjørn & Wakgari Deressa & Taye Gari & Eskindir Loha & Bjarne Robberstad, 2017. "Economic burden of malaria and predictors of cost variability to rural households in south-central Ethiopia," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 12(10), pages 1-16, October.
- Randall M. Packard, 2009. "“Roll Back Malaria, Roll in Development”? Reassessing the Economic Burden of Malaria," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 35(1), pages 53-87, March.
- Behrman, Jere R. & Khan, Shahrukh & Ross, David & Sabot, Richard, 1997. "School quality and cognitive achievement production: A case study for rural Pakistan," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 127-142, April.
- Dzator, Janet & Asafu-Adjaye, John, 2004. "A study of malaria care provider choice in Ghana," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 389-401, September.
- Pavel, Md Sadik & Chakrabarty, Sayan & Gow, Jeff, 2015. "Cost of illness for outpatients attending public and private hospitals in Bangladesh," MPRA Paper 74491, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Sep 2016.
- Gabriela Schütz, 2009. "Educational institutions and equality of opportunity," ifo Beiträge zur Wirtschaftsforschung, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 34.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2008.
"The Role of Cognitive Skills in Economic Development,"
Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 46(3), pages 607-668, September.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Wößmann, Ludger, 2008. "The role of cognitive skills in economic development," Munich Reprints in Economics 20454, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Eric Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2008. "The Role of Cognitive Skills in Economic Development," Discussion Papers 07-034, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Oliver Fritz & Peter Mayerhofer & Reinhard Haller & Gerhard Streicher & Florian Bachner & Herwig Ostermann, 2013. "Die regionalwirtschaftlichen Effekte der österreichischen Krankenanstalten," WIFO Studies, WIFO, number 46672.
- Abay Asfaw & Francesca Lamanna & Stephan Klasen, 2010. "Gender gap in parents' financing strategy for hospitalization of their children: evidence from India," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 265-279, March.
- Glewwe, Paul, 2001. "Schools, Skills And Economic Development: Education Policies, Student Learning And Socioeconomic Outcomes In Developing Countries," Bulletins 12969, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Lesong Conteh & Edith Patouillard & Margaret Kweku & Rosa Legood & Brian Greenwood & Daniel Chandramohan, 2010. "Cost Effectiveness of Seasonal Intermittent Preventive Treatment Using Amodiaquine & Artesunate or Sulphadoxine-Pyrimethamine in Ghanaian Children," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 5(8), pages 1-11, August.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:63:y:2003:i:1:p:17-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nithya Sathishkumar) or (). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/healthpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.