Patents and the Technological Performance of District Firms Evidence for the Emilia-Romagna Region of Italy
This paper investigates some crucial aspects of the recent development of industrial districts in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, where this type of spatial agglomeration of industrial firms has flourished since the period immediately after the Second World War. In particular, it is aimed at comparing the technological strength (in terms of patents registered with the European Patent Office) of innovative firms located within and outside industrial districts, in order to determine whether the prediction that innovative activity favors those firms or industries with direct access to knowledge producing inputs applies also to the case of industrial districts in the Emilia-Romagna region. The analysis deals with the population of firms with their headquarters in the region which registered at least one patent with the European Patent Office during the 1986-1995 period. Results from panel model estimates show that being located within an industrial district resulted in a technological advantage during the overall 1986-1995 period. However, on breaking down this period into two sub-periods (1986-1990 and 1991-1995) it is found that such advantage was strong in the first one, whereas it was lost in the first half of the 1990s.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49-3641-68 65
Fax: +49-3641-68 69 90
Web page: http://www.econ.mpg.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.econ.mpg.de/english/research/EGP/discuss.php Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-90, October.
- Russo, Margherita, 1985. "Technical change and the industrial district: The role of interfirm relations in the growth and transformation of ceramic tile production in Italy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 329-343, December.
- Cristina Boari & Andrea Lipparini, 1999. "Networks within Industrial Districts: Organising Knowledge Creation and Transfer by Means of Moderate Hierarchies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 339-360, December.
- Giorgio BARBA NAVARETTI & Enrico SANTARELLI & Marco VIVARELLI, 2000.
"The Role of Subsidies in Promoting Italian Joint Ventures in Least Developed and Transition Economies,"
144, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2002. "The role of subsidies in promoting Italian joint ventures in least developed and transition economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(12), pages 1563-1569.
- G. Barba Navaretti & E. Santarelli & M. Vivarelli, 2000. "The Role of Subsidies in Promoting Italian Joint Ventures in Least Developed and Transition Economics," Working Papers 386, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002.
"Innovating firms and aggregate innovation,"
300, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel S, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3248, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," NBER Working Papers 8819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," Memorandum 02/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Biggiero, Lucio, 2002. " The Location of Multinationals in Industrial Districts: Knowledge Transfer in Biomedicals," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 111-22, January.
- Forni, Mario & Paba, Sergio, 2002. "Spillovers and the Growth of Local Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 151-71, June.
- Enrico Santarelli, 1994.
"Analysing Literature-Based Innovation Output Indicators: The Italian Experience,"
197, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Piergiovanni, Roberta, 1996. "Analyzing literature-based innovation output indicators: the Italian experience," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 689-711, August.
- Giovannetti, Emanuele, 2000. "Technology Adoption and the Emergence of Regional Asymmetries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 71-102, March.
- Lorenzoni, Gianni & Ornati, Oscar A., 1988. "Constellations of firms and new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 41-57.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:egpdis:2004-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kerstin SchÃ¼ck)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.