Foreign direct investment and agglomeration: evidence from Italy
A number of empirical studies have analyzed the effect of agglomeration on multinational investment, verifying whether the agglomerated areas attract foreign direct investment inflows. Despite the large number of papers, no systematic attempt has been made to disentangle whether FDI are attracted by the concentration of firms within the same sector (specialization) or within different sectors (diversity). Furthermore, the question whether firm size in the host area influences multinational investment is still unanswered. This paper provides empirical evidence of the role of agglomeration economies in attracting foreign direct investments within Italian regions and provinces, distinguishing between specialization and diversity, and of the role of firm size in foreign investorsï¿½ choices. We employ a new territorial data set on foreign direct investment collected by the Italian Foreign Exchange Office for industrial and service sectors. We find strong evidence that specialized geographical areas attract FDI, whereas diversified areas do so only for industrial sectors; finally, there is little evidence that firm size has an impact on FDI since, if anything, only big firms in southern regions appear to have a positive effect on foreign investorsï¿½ decisions.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-90, October.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Arellano, M. & Honore, B., 2000.
"Panel Data Models: Some Recent Developments,"
0016, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Frank Barry & Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment, agglomerations, and demonstration effects: An empirical investigation,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 583-600, September.
- Frank Barry & Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, agglomerations, and demonstration effects: An empirical investigation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 139(4), pages 583-600, December.
- Barry, Frank & Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment, Agglomerations and Demonstration Effects: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2907, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank Barry & Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment, Agglomerations and Demonstration Effects - An Empirical Investigation," Working Papers 200104, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Robert Dekle, 2002. "Industrial Concentration And Regional Growth: Evidence From The Prefectures," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 310-315, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994.
"Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995. "Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- repec:rie:review:v:5:y:2000:i:2:n:2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alberto Baffigi & Antonio Bassanetti, 2004. "Turning-point indicators from business surveys: real-time detection for the euro area and its major member countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 500, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 1999.
"The role of specialisation and diversity externalities in the agglomeration of innovative activities,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199915, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Paci Raffaele & Usai Stefano, 2000. "The Role of Specialisation and Diversity Externalities in the Agglomeration of Innovative Activities," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 237-268.
- Sergio Mariotti & Lucia Piscitello, 1995. "Information Costs and Location of FDIs within the Host Country: Empirical Evidence from Italy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 815-841, December.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Roberto Basile, 2002. "The Locational Determinants of Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants in Italy: Preliminary Results," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(4), pages 61-92, July-Augu.
- Keith Head & John C. Ries & Deborah L. Swenson, 1994. "The Attraction of Foreign Manufacturing Investments: Investment Promotion and Agglomeration Economies," NBER Working Papers 4878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Forni, Mario & Paba, Sergio, 2002. "Spillovers and the Growth of Local Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 151-71, June.
- repec:rie:review:y:2000:v:2:i:2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Honore, Bo E, 1992. "Trimmed LAD and Least Squares Estimation of Truncated and Censored Regression Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 533-65, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_526_04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.