Agglomeration Economies and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: Empirical Evidence from Romania
Relatively little is known about the determinants of FDI location in transition economies. We exploit the large inflow of FDI into Romania, after the revolution in 1989, to study this question. Using a conditional logit setup, we find that external economies from service agglomeration are the main determinant of FDI-location. An increase in service employment density by 10 percent makes the average Romanian county 11.9 percent more likely to attract a foreign investor. Industry specific foreign and domestic agglomeration economies and labor conflicts also impact FDI-location. Our findings imply that results are sensitive to the inclusion of locational fixed effects.
|Date of creation:||30 Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- Sergio Mariotti & Lucia Piscitello, 1995. "Information Costs and Location of FDIs within the Host Country: Empirical Evidence from Italy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 815-841, December.
- Head, C. Keith & Ries, John C. & Swenson, Deborah L., 1999. "Attracting foreign manufacturing: Investment promotion and agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 197-218, March.
- Andrzej Cieślik, 2005. "Regional characteristics and the location of foreign firms within Poland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 863-874.
- Anne-Celia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2003.
"How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and Determinants of Location Choices by French Firms in Eastern and Western Europe,"
2003-13, CEPII research center.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Mayer, Thierry, 2004. "How different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 280-296, June.
- Anne-CÃ©lia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Working Papers 245489, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- ANDRZEJ CIEŚLIK, 2005. "Location Of Foreign Firms And National Border Effects: The Case Of Poland," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 96(3), pages 287-297, 07.
- L.R. de Mello Jr., 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data,"
Studies in Economics
9615, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- de Mello, Luiz R, Jr, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 133-51, January.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Industrial Location Modeling: Extending the Random Utility Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-20.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2001. "The Determinants of Agglomeration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 191-229, September.
- Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L., 1988. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and agglomeration economies in consumption and production," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 125-153, February.
- John Cantwell & Lucia Piscitello, 2005. "Recent Location of Foreign-owned Research and Development Activities by Large Multinational Corporations in the European Regions: The Role of Spillovers and Externalities," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 1-16.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- John M. Quigley, 1998. "Urban Diversity and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 127-138, Spring.
- Luiz de Mello, 1997. "Foreign direct investment in developing countries and growth: A selective survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 1-34.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994.
"Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995. "Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004.
"How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in France," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2003. "How do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 3873, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Crozet, M. & Mayer, T. & Micchielli, J.L., 2000. "How Do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France?," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.50, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- V. N. Balasubramanyam & M. Salisu & David Sapsford, 1999. "Foreign direct investment as an engine of growth," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 27-40.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000.
"Location Determinants of New Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 323-351.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1997. "Location determinants of new foreign-owned manufacturing plants," Working Papers 1997-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Kenneth Train, 1985. "Qualitative Choice Analysis: Theory, Econometrics, and an Application to Automobile Demand," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200554, June.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 1996. "Inter-City Competition for Foreign Investment: Static and Dynamic Effects of China's Incentive Areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 38-60, July.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1985. "Business Location Decisions in the United States: Estimates of the Effects of Unionization, Taxes, and Other Characteristics of States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Aristidis Bitzenis, 2006. "Decisive FDI barriers that affect multinationals' business in a transition country," Global Business and Economics Review, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(1/2), pages 87-118.
- Fazia Pusterla & Laura Resmini, 2005. "Where do foreign firms locate in transition Countries? An empirical investigation," ISLA Working Papers 20, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Sep 2005.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- G. M. Peter Swann & Rui Baptista, 1999. "A comparison of clustering dynamics in the US and UK computer industries," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 373-399.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004.
"Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 959-972, November.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2002. "Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 3455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gábor Békés, 2005. "Location of manufacturing FDI in Hungary: How important are inter-company relationships?," MNB Working Papers 2005/07, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.