When change matters: the effect of dependent interviewing on survey interaction in the British Household Panel Study
We examine how dependent interviewing affects verbal interaction between interviewers and respondents in questions obtaining current employment details in the British Household Panel Study. Respondents experience few cognition problems when answering DI questions, but interruption and elaboration are likely at PDI questions. These behaviours occur when respondent circumstances have changed. Departures from standardised interviewing are also likely when circumstances change. DI seems to reduce the accuracy of detail about such change since we observe interviewer behaviour that others find to produce inaccurate data. Nevertheless, these results may explain why DI reduces the odds of spurious change between waves of panels.
|Date of creation:||27 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nico Molenaar & Johannes Smit, 1996. "Asking and answering yes/no-questions in survey interviews: a conversational approach," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 115-136, May.
- Annette Jäckle & Emanuela Sala & Stephen P. Jenkins & Peter Lynn, 2005.
"Validation of Survey Data on Income and Employment: The ISMIE Experience,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
488, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2004-26 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:iserwp:2008-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:iserwp:2007-07 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:iserwp:2004-24 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:iserwp:2005-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2009-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.