"It is time computers do clever things!" The impact of dependent interviewing on interviewer burden
This paper evaluates the impact of dependent interviewing (DI) on interviewer burden and data quality using qualitative data collected from a survey carried out in 2006 on the British Household Panel Survey (BHPS) interviewers. We find that: (i) DI has a minor effect on interviewer burden, (ii) this effect is perceived by interviewers to be positive, (iii) the mechanisms by which DI reduces interviewer burden are mainly indirect as they are mediated by respondents, and (iv) in most cases the effects of DI on interviewer burden varies in relation to the type of DI questions asked and respondent circumstances.
|Date of creation:||12 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/Email:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ese:iserwp:2004-24 is not listed on IDEAS
- C. O'Muircheartaigh, 1976. "Response errors in an attitudinal sample survey," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 97-115, June.
- Peter Lynn & Annette JÃ¤ckle & Stephen P. Jenkins & Emanuela Sala, 2005.
"The Effects of Dependent Interviewing on Responses to Questions on Income Sources,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
487, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- C. O'Muircheartaigh & P. Campanelli, 1999. "A multilevel exploration of the role of interviewers in survey non-response," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 162(3), pages 437-446.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2007-07 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:iserwp:2004-28 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2009-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.