Respondent behaviour in panel studies: a case study for income-nonresponse by means of the British Household Panel Study (BHPS)
Many validation studies deal with item-nonresponse and measurement error in earning data. In this paper we explore motives of respondents for the failure to reveal earnings using the British Household Panel (BHPS). BHPS collects socio-economic information of private households in Great Britain. We explain the evolution of income-nonresponse in the BHPS and demonstrate the importance of a discrimination between refusing the income-statement or don't know.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pamela Campanelli & Colm O'Muircheartaigh, 2002. "The Importance of Experimental Control in Testing the Impact of Interviewer Continuity on Panel Survey Nonresponse," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 129-144, May.
- Brownstone, David & Valletta, Robert G, 1996.
"Modeling Earnings Measurement Error: A Multiple Imputation Approach,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt3gb0k9b5, University of California Transportation Center.
- Brownstone, David & Valletta, Robert G, 1996. "Modeling Earnings Measurement Error: A Multiple Imputation Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 705-17, November.
- Bollinger, Christopher R & David, Martin H, 2001.
"Estimation with Response Error and Nonresponse: Food-Stamp Participation in the SIPP,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 129-41, April.
- Christopher Bollinger & Martin H. David, 2000. "Estimation with Response Error and Non-Response: Food Stamp Participation in the SIPP," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0198, Econometric Society.
- C. O'Muircheartaigh & P. Campanelli, 1999. "A multilevel exploration of the role of interviewers in survey non-response," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 162(3), pages 437-446.
- Brownstone, David & Velletta, Robert G., 1996. "Modeling Earnings Measurement Error: A Multiple Imputation Approach," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt2t08s22q, University of California Transportation Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2003-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.