Respondent behaviour in panel studies: a case study for income-nonresponse by means of the British Household Panel Study (BHPS)
Many validation studies deal with item-nonresponse and measurement error in earning data. In this paper we explore motives of respondents for the failure to reveal earnings using the British Household Panel (BHPS). BHPS collects socio-economic information of private households in Great Britain. We explain the evolution of income-nonresponse in the BHPS and demonstrate the importance of a discrimination between refusing the income-statement or don't know.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brownstone, David & Valletta, Robert G, 1996.
"Modeling Earnings Measurement Error: A Multiple Imputation Approach,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt3gb0k9b5, University of California Transportation Center.
- Brownstone, David & Valletta, Robert G, 1996. "Modeling Earnings Measurement Error: A Multiple Imputation Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 705-17, November.
- Pamela Campanelli & Colm O'Muircheartaigh, 2002. "The Importance of Experimental Control in Testing the Impact of Interviewer Continuity on Panel Survey Nonresponse," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 129-144, May.
- C. O'Muircheartaigh & P. Campanelli, 1999. "A multilevel exploration of the role of interviewers in survey non-response," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 162(3), pages 437-446.
- Bollinger, Christopher R & David, Martin H, 2001.
"Estimation with Response Error and Nonresponse: Food-Stamp Participation in the SIPP,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 129-41, April.
- Christopher Bollinger & Martin H. David, 2000. "Estimation with Response Error and Non-Response: Food Stamp Participation in the SIPP," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0198, Econometric Society.
- Brownstone, David & Velletta, Robert G., 1996. "Modeling Earnings Measurement Error: A Multiple Imputation Approach," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt2t08s22q, University of California Transportation Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2003-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Paul Groves to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.