The development and implementation of a coding scheme to analyse interview dynamics in the British Household Panel Survey
The study of interviewer-respondent interaction that occurs during an interview can give very useful insights into the cognitive process of answering questions, the social dynamics that develop in an interview context and the way these dynamics ultimately impact data quality. Behaviour coding is a technique used to code such interactions. Despite its long-standing use, little is written about the procedures to be followed while developing a coding scheme. This paper provides a practical background on the development and implementation of the behaviour coding scheme adopted to explore interview dynamics in the framework of dependent interviewing. This schema was used to code approximately 150 previously transcribed interviews of the British Household Panel Study Wave 16 pilot. Coding strategies and procedures, coder recruitment and training reliability assessments as well as timetable and costs are documented and discussed.
|Date of creation:||20 May 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annette Jäckle & Emanuela Sala & Stephen P. Jenkins & Peter Lynn, 2005.
"Validation of Survey Data on Income and Employment: The ISMIE Experience,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
488, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- JÃ¤ckle, Annette & Sala, Emanuela & Jenkins, Stephen P. & Lynn, Peter, 2004. "Validation of survey data on income and employment: the ISMIE experience," ISER Working Paper Series 2004-14, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Lynn, Peter & JÃ¤ckle, Annette & Jenkins, Stephen P. & Sala, Emanuela, 2004.
"The effects of dependent interviewing on responses to questions on income sources,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2004-16, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Peter Lynn & Annette Jäckle & Stephen P. Jenkins & Emanuela Sala, 2005. "The Effects of Dependent Interviewing on Responses to Questions on Income Sources," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 487, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Wil Dijkstra & Yfke Ongena, 2006. "Question-Answer Sequences in Survey-Interviews," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 40(6), pages 983-1011, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2008-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Nears)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.