Interplay between Environmental Regulation and Power Markets
This paper discusses the difficulty of having three different objectives for the electricity supply sectors in the EU: renewable energy goals, emission reduction goals and minimising consumer prices. In the environment associated with the power markets, the regulatory mechanisms interact with each other and thus the attainment of the specified goals. Analytical discussions in the paper show that synergies do exist between the different regulation mechanisms and the targets. However, the challenge of having the different targets lies in the fact that the mechanisms at present cover different geographical areas and sectors, and that the targets are set differently within each Member State.This is an analytical paper, and its aim is to shed some light on the complexity of this regulation area and inspire more researchers to work in it.
|Date of creation:||17 Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Mortensen, Jorgen Birk, 2001. "The Danish Green Certificate System: some simple analytical results," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 489-509, September.
- Amundsen, E.S. & Mortensen, J.B., 2001. "The Danish Green Certificate System: Some Simple Analytical Results," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 226, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Soderholm, Patrik & Sundqvist, Thomas, 2003. "Pricing environmental externalities in the power sector: ethical limits and implications for social choice," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 333-350, October.
- Jensen, S. G. & Skytte, K., 2002. "Interactions between the power and green certificate markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 425-435, April.
- Boots, M., 2003. "Green certificates and carbon trading in the Netherlands," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 43-50, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erp:euirsc:p0169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio PAPPALARDO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.