Market access, organic farming and productivity: the determinants of creation of economic value on a sample of Fair Trade affiliated Thai farmers
We analyse the impact of Fair Trade and organic farming on a sample of Fair Trade organic rice producers in Thailand. We find that per capita income from agriculture is positively and significantly affected by organic certification and FT affiliation years. Such effect does not translate into higher productivity due to a concurring increase in worked hours. FT and organic certification contributions are however downward biased if we do not take into account the relatively higher share of self- consumption of affiliated farmers. Our main findings are robust when we control for selection bias and endogeneity with instrumental variables, propensity score matching and by restricting the sample to affiliated producers only. We also test which of the two (organic and FT) effects is stronger and find that the latter prevails.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0039 02 6448 6540
Web page: http://www.econometica.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Reinstein & Joon Song, 2012.
"Efficient Consumer Altruism and Fair Trade Products,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 213-241, 03.
- LeClair, Mark S., 2002. "Fighting the Tide: Alternative Trade Organizations in the Era of Global Free Trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 949-958, June.
- Kassie, Menale & Zikhali, Precious & Pender, John & Köhlin, Gunnar, 2008. "Organic Farming Technologies and Agricultural Productivity: The case of Semi-Arid Ethiopia," Working Papers in Economics 334, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:01c48 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alfons Oude Lansink & Ky–sti Pietola, 2002. "Effciency and productivity of conventional and organic farms in Finland 1994--1997," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 51-66, March.
- repec:rtv:ceiswp:262 is not listed on IDEAS
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Redfern, Andy & Snedker, Paul, 2002. "Creating market opportunities for small enterprises : experiences of the fair trade movement," ILO Working Papers 357069, International Labour Organization.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ent:wpaper:wp05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Rizzolli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.