The Effects of Transactions Costs on Labor Market Participation and Earnings: Evidence from Rural Philippine Markets
The paper aims to measure transaction costs and its effects on labor market participation and on wage earnings. The observed differences between between buying and selling prices of rice across households are used to calculate transaction costs indices for villages which are incorporated into the standard labor market participation and Mincer wage equations. The estimates indicate that transaction costs may be a source of the income differentials between (a) the landed and the landless, (b) the rural and the urban areas, and (c) the males and the females. Furthermore, biases can noted in the regression coefficients of estimates that do not control for transaction costs.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 8269, New Haven CT 06520-8269|
Phone: (203) 432-3610
Fax: (203) 432-3898
Web page: http://www.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willis, Robert J., 1987. "Wage determinants: A survey and reinterpretation of human capital earnings functions," Handbook of Labor Economics,in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 525-602 Elsevier.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1985. "A Theory of Two-Tier Labor Markets in Agrarian Economies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 162-177, March.
- Mark R. Rosenzweig & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 1985.
"Specific Experience, Household Structure, and Intergenerational Transfers: Farm Family Land and Labor Arrangements in Developing Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 100(Supplemen), pages 961-987.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Wolpin, Kenneth I., 1984. "Specific Experience, Household Structure and Intergenerational Transfers: Farm Family Land and Labor Arrangements in Developing Countries," Bulletins 8432, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Hayami, Yujiro, 1988. "Theories of Share Tenancy: A Critical Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(1), pages 31-68, October.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Evenson, Robert & Roumasset, James, 1986. "MARKETS, institutions and family size in rural Philippine households," MPRA Paper 13227, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evenson, Robert E. & Roumasset, James A., 1986. "Markets, Institutions and Family Size in Rural Philippine Households," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1986 Vol. XIII Nos. 1, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lanzona, Leonardo A., 1998. "Migration, self-selection and earnings in Philippine rural communities," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 27-50, June.
- Jacoby, H.G., 1990. "Shadow Wages And Peasant Family Labor Supply; An Econometric Application To The Peruvian Sierra," Papers 73, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:jpd_1986_vol._xiii_nos._1&2-f is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)