Shadow wages, allocative inefficiency, and labor supply in smallholder agriculture
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Emmanuel Skoufias, 1994. "Using Shadow Wages to Estimate Labor Supply of Agricultural Households," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(2), pages 215-227.
- Epstein, L, 1975. "A Disaggregate Analysis of Consumer Choice under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 877-892, Sept.-Nov.
- Udry, Christopher, 1996. "Gender, Agricultural Production, and the Theory of the Household," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 1010-1046, October.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- John L. Newman & Paul J. Gertler, 1994.
"Family Productivity, Labor Supply, and Welfare in a Low Income Country,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(4), pages 989-1026.
- Newman, J.L. & Gertler, P.J., 1995. "Family Productivity, Labor Supply, and Welfare in a Low Income Country," Papers 95-05, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Sahn, David E & Alderman, Harold, 1996. "The Effect of Food Subsidies on Labor Supply in Sri Lanka," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 125-145, October.
- Christpher B. Barrett, 1997. "How credible are estimates of peasant allocative scale, or scope efficiency? A commentary," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 221-229.
- Sherlund, Shane M. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Adesina, Akinwumi A., 2002. "Smallholder technical efficiency controlling for environmental production conditions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 85-101, October.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Mark R. Rosenzweig, 1980. "Neoclassical Theory and the Optimizing Peasant: An Econometric Analysis of Market Family Labor Supply in a Developing Country," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(1), pages 31-55.
- de Janvry, Alain & Fafchamps, Marcel & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1991. "Peasant Household Behaviour with Missing Markets: Some Paradoxes Explained," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1400-1417, November.
- Hanan G. Jacoby, 1993.
"Shadow Wages and Peasant Family Labour Supply: An Econometric Application to the Peruvian Sierra,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 60(4), pages 903-921.
- Jacoby, H.G., 1990. "Shadow Wages And Peasant Family Labor Supply; An Econometric Application To The Peruvian Sierra," Papers 73, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- SANDMO, Agnar, 1971. "On the theory of the competitive firm under price uncertainty," CORE Discussion Papers RP 80, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Feder, Gershon, 1985. "The relation between farm size and farm productivity : The role of family labor, supervision and credit constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 297-313, August.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1996. "On price risk and the inverse farm size-productivity relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 193-215, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chikwama, Cornilius, 2010. "The role of rural off-farm employment in agricultural development among farm households in low-income countries: Evidence from Zimbabwe," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 4(1), March.
- Nafziger, Steven, 2010. "Peasant communes and factor markets in late nineteenth-century Russia," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 381-402, October.
- Nin-Pratt, Alejandro & McBride, Linden, 2014. "Agricultural intensification in Ghana: Evaluating the optimist’s case for a Green Revolution," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 153-167.
- John Cockburn, 2002.
"Income Contributions of Child Work in Rural Ethiopia,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2002-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- John Cockburn, 2004. "Income Contributions of Child Work in Rural Ethiopia," Development and Comp Systems 0409016, EconWPA.
- John Cockburn, 2004. "Income Contributions of Child Work in Rural Ethiopia," Development and Comp Systems 0409051, EconWPA.
- Stifel, David, 2010.
"The rural non-farm economy, livelihood strategies and household welfare,"
Journal of Cooperatives,
NCERA-210, vol. 4(1), March.
- Stifel, David, 2010. "The rural non-farm economy, livelihood strategies and household welfare," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 4(1), March.
- Chiara Del Bo & Carlo Fiorio & Massimo Florio, 2011.
"Shadow Wages for the EU Regions,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 32(1), pages 109-143, March.
- Chiara DEL BO & Massimo FLORIO & Carlo Vittorio FIORIO, 2009. "Shadow wages for the EU regions," Departmental Working Papers 2009-42, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Chiara Del Bo & Massimo Florio & Carlo Fiorio, 2009. "Shadow wages for the EU regions," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1090, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Christopher Barrett & Daniel Clay, 2003. "How Accurate is Food-for-Work Self-Targeting in the Presence of Imperfect Factor Markets? Evidence from Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 152-180.
- Dillon, Brian & Barrett, Christopher B., 2017.
"Agricultural factor markets in Sub-Saharan Africa: An updated view with formal tests for market failure,"
Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 64-77.
- Dillon, Brian & Barrett, Christopher B., 2014. "Agricultural factor markets in Sub-Saharan Africa : an updated view with formal tests for market failure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7117, The World Bank.
- Sauer, Johannes & Balint, Borbala, 2006. "Romanian Maize - Distorted Prices and Producer Efficiency," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21410, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mukasa Adamon N. & Adeleke Oluwole Salami, 2016. "Working Paper 231 - Gender productivity differentials among smallholder farmers in Africa: A cross-country comparison," Working Paper Series 2324, African Development Bank.
- Palacios-López, Amparo & López, Ramon E., 2014. "Gender Differences in Agricultural Productivity: The Role of Market Imperfections," Working Papers 164061, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Bezu, Sosina & Barrett, Christopher B. & Holden, Stein T., 2012.
"Does the Nonfarm Economy Offer Pathways for Upward Mobility? Evidence from a Panel Data Study in Ethiopia,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1634-1646.
- Bezu, Sosina & Barrett, Christopher B. & Holden, Stein T., 2010. "Does the nonfarm economy offer pathways for upward mobility? Evidence from a panel data study in Ethiopia," MPRA Paper 35754, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
- Alex Almeida & Boris Bravo-Ureta, 2011. "Agricultural Productivity And Off-Farm Labor Decisions By Heads And Spouses In Nicaragua: A Semiparametric Analysis Using Panel Data," ERSA conference papers ersa11p508, European Regional Science Association.
- Hernandez, Ricardo & Berdegue, Julio A. & Reardon, Thomas, 2012. "Modern Markets and Guava Farmers in Mexico," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 127649, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Palacios-Lopez,Amparo & López,Ramón, 2015. "Market imperfections exacerbate the gender gap: the case of Malawi," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7300, The World Bank.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:agecon:v:38:y:2008:i:1:p:21-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iaaeeea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.