Mean Group Tests for Stationarity in Heterogenous Panels
This paper proposes the panel-based mean group tests for the null of stationarity against the alternative of unit roots in the presence of both heterogeneity across crosssection units and serial correlation across time periods. Using both sequential and joint asymptotic analyses the proposed test statistic is shown to be distributed as standard normal under the null for large N (number of groups) and large T (number of time periods). Monte Carlo results support the use of join asymptotic limits (under further condition that N/T ? 0) as a guide to finite sample performance, but also clearly indicate that the power of our suggested panel-based test is substantially higher than that of the single time series-based test.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.ed.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chihwa Kao & Suzanne McCoskey, 1997.
"A Residual-Based Test Of The Null Of Cointegration In Panel Data,"
- Suzanne McCoskey & Chihwa Kao, 1998. "A residual-based test of the null of cointegration in panel data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 57-84.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Quah, D., 1993.
"Exploiting Cross Section Variation for Unit Root Inference in Dynamic Data,"
549, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Quah, Danny, 1994. "Exploiting cross-section variation for unit root inference in dynamic data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 9-19.
- Danny Quah, 1993. "Exploiting Cross Section Variation for Unit Root Inference in Dynamic Data," FMG Discussion Papers dp171, Financial Markets Group.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1994. "Bias assessment and reduction in linear error-correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 215-243, July.
- Choi, In, 2001. "Unit root tests for panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-272, April.
- McCabe, B.P.M. & Leybourne, S.J., 1998. "On Estimating An Arma Model With An Ma Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(03), pages 326-338, June.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000.
"Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Tom Doan, . "HADRI: RATS procedure to implement Hadri test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00084, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999. "Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data," Research Papers 1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Snell, Andy, 1998.
"Testing for r versus r-1 cointegrating vectors,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 151-191, November.
- M Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Ron P Smith, 2004. "Pooled mean group estimation of dynamic heterogeneous panels," ESE Discussion Papers 16, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:esedps:107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.