On the Asymptotic Efficiency of GMM
This paper derives conditions under which the generalized method of moments (GMM) estimator is as efficient as the maximum likelihood estimator (MLE). The data are supposed to be drawn from a parametric family and to be stationary Markov. We study the efficiency of GMM in a general framework where the set of moment conditions may be finite, countable infinite, or a continuum. Our main result is the following. GMM estimator is efficient if and only if the true score belongs to the closure of the linear space spanned by the moment conditions. This result extends former ones in two dimensions: (a) the moments may be correlated, (b) the number of moment restrictions may be infinite. It suggests a way to construct estimators that are as efficient as MLE. In the last part of this paper, we show how to calculate the greatest lower bound of instrumental variable estimators
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2000. "Generalization Of Gmm To A Continuum Of Moment Conditions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(06), pages 797-834, December.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002.
"Efficient GMM Estimation Using the Empirical Characteristic Function,"
IDEI Working Papers
140, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Marine Carrasco & Jean-Pierre Florens, 2000. "Efficient GMM Estimation Using the Empirical Characteristic Function," Working Papers 2000-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- BROZE, Laurence & FRANCQ , Christian & ZAKOIAN, Jean-Michel, "undated".
"Non-redundancy of high order moment conditions for efficient GMM estimation of weak AR processes,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1576, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Broze, Laurence & Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2001. "Non-redundancy of high order moment conditions for efficient GMM estimation of weak AR processes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 317-322, June.
- BROZE, Laurence & FRANCQ, Christian & ZAKOIAN, Jean-Michel, 2000. "Non redundancy of high order moment conditions for efficient GMM estimation of weak AR processes," CORE Discussion Papers 2000033, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Nychka, Douglas W, 1987. "Semi-nonparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 363-390, March.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages 85-118, Suppl. De.
- Singleton, Kenneth J., 2001. "Estimation of affine asset pricing models using the empirical characteristic function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 111-141, May.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1985. "A method for calculating bounds on the asymptotic covariance matrices of generalized method of moments estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 203-238.
- Hall, Alastair R., 2004. "Generalized Method of Moments," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198775201.
- Eric Ghysels & Jean-Pierre Florens & Mikhail Chernov & Marine Carrasco, 2003.
"Efficient Estimation of Jump Diffusions and General Dynamic Models with a Continuum of Moment Conditions,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Carrasco, Marine & Chernov, Mikhaël & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Ghysels, Eric, 2000. "Efficient Estimation of Jump Diffusions and General Dynamic Models with a Continuum of Moment Conditions," IDEI Working Papers 116, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2002.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1987. "Asymptotic efficiency in estimation with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 305-334, March.
- Newey, Whitney K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1986. "Large sample estimation and hypothesis testing," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 36, pages 2111-2245 Elsevier.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002. "Simulation-Based Method of Moments and Efficiency," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 482-492, October.
- West, Kenneth D, 2001.
"On Optimal Instrumental Variables Estimation of Stationary Time Series Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1043-1050, November.
- Kenneth D. West, 2000. "On Optimal Instrumental Variables Estimation of Stationary Time Series Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anatolyev, Stanislav, 2007. "Redundancy Of Lagged Regressors Revisited," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 364-368, April.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kim, Yangseon & Qian, Hailong & Schmidt, Peter, 1999. "Efficient GMM and MD estimation of autoregressive models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 265-270, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:nawm04:436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.